Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-15-2013, 09:54 PM   #1

Hello from India

Hello !

I came across this wonderful forum while doing some research on a possible K-5 ii / s purchase. I live and work in India and have only used nikon cameras since I was a child (I'm 35 now). I've moved from a nikon 35 mm film automatic to a point and shoot to a Nikon D40. Part of the reason is the unavailability of Pentax as opposed to CaNikon gear here in India. Even sony has a better presence here.

I love traveling and exploring India, including some offbeat destinations. Photography is strictly a hobby but the camera is indispensable to record much that I see. Pentax seems to offer some distinct advantages for where I live - desert state of Rajasthan (weather sealing most notably) and hence I've just started reading a bit about the system.

I will post a thread in the Pentax K-5 forum shortly with some questions.

thanks!
Vaibhav

11-15-2013, 11:41 PM   #2
Forum Member

Welcome to the forum Vaibhav. The members here are quite helpful in answering Pentax questions. Hope you can share a picture or two of Rajasthan while you're here. There's a Non-Pentax Camera section so don't be shy.
11-16-2013, 12:05 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks Hawkeye86 !! I had a look at the non-pentax forum but didn't see a nikon photo thread. So, here're two taken with the D40 and the 18-55 (non VR). This first one is from my hometown (clicked in 2010) and second from Jaisalmer (in 2011).

11-16-2013, 02:45 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to PF and bonjour from France ... enjoy the forum and please post us a Pentax image or two soon ... Salut, J

11-16-2013, 02:52 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Welcome to the forum

Welcome to the forum. You will find this to be a wonderful global community of photographers, amateurs as well as many professionals as well. You can get fast responses to lots of difficult questions.

Rajasthan offers many excellent photographic opportunities. I have several film captures from the 1980s era--the blue houses of Jodpur, the maharajas palace there also. Also some shots of hot red pepper harvest, and some nice camel shots!

I hope you can share some of your photos with us in the non-Pentax areas. We can hope that Ricoh will become more international marketing oriented than past Pentax brand owners to make this wonderful brand more accessible to all our forum members.
11-16-2013, 02:49 PM   #6
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, please keep those images coming, India is just such a photogenic country.
11-17-2013, 01:31 AM   #7

Original Poster
Thank you Jean, Ivan and kerrowdown for the welcome. I've posted my queries on this thread: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/115-pentax-k-5/242694-moving-nikon-d40-pentax-k-5-ii-s.html. Your opinions are very welcome.

Another photo in-line (while i figure out forum etiquette, hope it's OK to post here?). This is the iconic monument of my hometown, Jaipur. Called Hawa-mahal or the Palace of Winds, its essentially a facade through which the women of the royal household could watch the proceedings in the busy main market without being seen by outsiders. Photograph was taken on the eve of the festival of lights 'Deepawali'.

« new member | Hello »