Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-18-2013, 07:41 PM   #1
Forum Member

A new Pentaxian is born?

Hello everybody,

My story is awkwardly long, so I'll keep it brief. During most of my short lifespan, I always thought that photography was a sort of forbidden fruit for me. I took countless pictures as a child and teenager, with film cameras, and they'd be horrifying disasters each and every time. I just never got it, and so forsook photography as an interest.
Anyway, many years later, I came to be a tour guide in one of the world's most amazing locations (the Atacama Desert in Chile). When I saw all those people madly taking pictures, I couldn't help but wonder. When they'd hand me their cameras to snap a shot, I couldn't help but feel inadequate to the task. And so, more by chance than anything else, I bought a Sony A290 DSLR. It certainly made me happy, although the camera had many shortcomings. So, later on, tired of how dirty the OVF and sensor had become (I can't begin to explain how bad those problems were!), and wanting something smaller, I went for a Panasonic GX1. Let me say now that the size and weight of that kit are fantastic! More importantly, I've never, EVER have had to clean the sensor! However, the GX1 is remarkably awful at WB, exposure, and AF. Also, it's a tiny camera, unsuited for very long optics.
Anyway, I'm sick of being limited by mediocre optics and no viewfinder. I've been watching Pentax cameras for a long time, especially since they're weather-sealed and sport pentaprisms. I get a tremendous joy from peering through a beautiful viewfinder, I love taking pics of birds - in flight or not, and I positively HATE chroma noise. All things considered, I guess I'm a prime Pentax candidate. I've just ordered a K-30 with the 18-135 (I've always wanted an all-in-one zoom, just for giggles) and depending on how we bond I'll go for both ultrawide and supertele optics, since I love extremes. Maybe throw a fast prime in, who knows.

Anyway, thanks for reading all this nonsense, all the best for you,
Kharan

11-18-2013, 08:13 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Welcome Kharan.
11-19-2013, 02:45 AM   #3

Welcome Kharan, and I to joined yesterday. You sure have a beautiful scenic country in Chile for your Pentax equipment to capture. I have friends that go Steelhead fishing from here during your spring and fall time, and really enjoy the knowledge of the fishing guides.
11-19-2013, 05:25 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome!

Y su pais es uno que quiero visitar. Si yo tengo la opportunidad para viajar alla, La Atacama es un definitivo! Oh, y cuando lo pasa, mi esposa y yo vamos a necesitar una guia

Usted va a encantar el K-30 con el 18-135. Es magnifica. Pero un recomendacion - compre el OP/TECH BACKPACK/REPORTER para su camera. Es muy barato, pero son increibles para mochilando (es correcto? - backpacking?). Cuando yo estaba en Afganistan, yo lleve mis camera con la sistema, OP/TECH. Es muy fuerte.

Es esto es durante la guerra alla:

Name:  546779_761385455400_495449813_n[1].jpg
Views: 665
Size:  150.5 KB

Ariba: Pentax K-30 (o K-7) con DA* 16-50
Abajo: Pentax K-5 con DA* 60-250

Otra vez, bievenidos!

-Heie

11-19-2013, 06:38 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Well, thank you everybody!

Heie, ¿cuándo piensas venir? Te puedo dar algunos consejos, si quieres Conozco toda la zona como la palma de mi mano. Y sí, se dice "mochileando", es algo que todavía se hace mucho en Chile.
Gracias por el dato de OP-TECH, lo tendré en cuenta. ¿Estabas de reportero en Afganistán? Debe ser un país increíble, con algún parecido a Atacama.
11-19-2013, 06:41 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
D'oh, I just noticed that you're an Army engineer. Forget about my reporter comment. Did you really carry the two bodies with you during operations? 8)
11-20-2013, 02:27 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Bonjour from France and welcome to PF, Kharan ... enjoy the forum and your K-30 ... hope to see an image or two soon ... Salut, J
11-20-2013, 01:12 PM   #8
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, enjoy that new camera once you get her.