Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
11-18-2013, 10:08 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Ahoy from New Zealand

Hello there,

I've recently bought a Pentax Kr as I decided it was about time to move into DSLR territory after years of messing about with rubbishy wee cameras. Still pretty much learning the ropes here, so hoping a place like this might help me out a little. I'm originally from Glasgow, Scotland and have been lucky enough to live in New Zealand for the last 10 years. Truly, one of the most beautiful places on earth.
Have loads of questions, but will try and keep them for the pertinent threads. Anyway...Aw the best from Christchurch

Cheers

Steve

11-18-2013, 11:10 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum Steve, good to have you on board with us.
11-19-2013, 12:15 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
Welcome to the forum Steve, good to have you on board with us.
Cheers!
11-19-2013, 09:41 PM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Welcome from Iowa! Yes you will learn much from this forum. And it is also much fun! The people are friendly and helpful, so dive right in!
Joel

11-19-2013, 10:10 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Ahoy from New Zealand

Thanks Joel,

Yes, Looks like a good resource for all things Pentax. I just got a bargain brand new Kr, along with the kit lens. Got it for a real bargain, which is not always the case for New Zealand. Anyway, I'm just getting my head around it really..The kit lens seem ok, from what I've read, but will no doubt look at others at some point..Enjoying just taking snaps at the moment, though I'm sure I'm not doing the camera justice...but there you go.
11-19-2013, 10:55 PM - 1 Like   #6
mee
Veteran Member

ahoyyyy over thereeee!

Good place to start is to learn about the 'golden triad' of exposure.. Exposure 101 - The Golden Triad - Learn Photography. Fast. is one resource. Perhaps the best thing to do is read a little and then attempt what you think you know... trial and error! But, in this case, some well crafted trials (as well as well crafted errors perhaps!) hehe

Also, you may want to set your K-r to shoot in DNG format (RAW) as you can adjust exposure, colors, etc much more largely than if editing a JPG format image. And then the fun is in getting some photo editing software.. RawTherapee Blog RAWTherapee is one.. but there are a bunch of them (some free such as RT) just to get started!

Or, RAW+ if you want DNG *and* JPG format photos taken at the same time (eats SD Card space though but maybe not a bad thing if you are practicing)

Please avoid staying for long periods of time in the rumors+news forums -- lots of grown men acting like even older men in there.
11-20-2013, 02:20 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Bonjour from France and welcome to PF, Steve ... enjoy the forum and your K-r ... hope to see an image or two soon ... Salut, J

11-20-2013, 03:30 AM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
Bonjour Jean and thanks for the mention.. Mee...Thanks for the info on exposures. One of the first things I started to mess about with in my very fidgety, excitable state, when I first got a hold of the camera. I like the K-r. Think it's the kind of camera that will suit a new bod like myself. Trial and error is no doubt my mantra for some time to come. RAW format? I like the sound of it...But, like anything, I will have to work it all out and find some half decent software. I've only got the Pentax stuff that came with the camera..Is that any good? Anyway, thanks for the input here. Pentax people seem very cool. Thanks again!
11-20-2013, 07:19 AM - 1 Like   #9
mee
Veteran Member

I didn't even install the Silky Pix software that came with my Pentax so I am unsure of it's quality.. I'm using Adobe Lightroom here. It has a super RAW processor in it.. almost makes my photos look like I know what I'm doing. ;c )

But for starters something like RAWTherapee would be finetastic imo

The beautiful thing about shooting RAW format is, if you don't get exposure correct, you can account for it and many other things. Perfect for seeing how far you were off and such.. not to mention salvaging some otherwise good photos!
11-20-2013, 09:34 AM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by thegadge Quote
Ahoy from New Zealand
Welcome aboard Steve and wish all the best with your new Pentax.
You certainly have a stunning location for photography!
regards
Chris
11-20-2013, 09:50 AM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

Congrats on getting a good deal! Gotta love that.

I may not have given Silky Pix enough of a chance, but after trying it a couple of times, I ended up removing It. It was frustrating and doesn't do as much as my Lightroom, so I didn't want it taking up space. I've never tried RAWTherapee.

RAW is great. I've nearly forgotten I have JPEG. The only times I've switched back to JPEG since I had my k-x was once for higher burst rate at a soccer game, and once kind of experimenting.
11-20-2013, 10:39 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome

QuoteOriginally posted by thegadge Quote
Hello there,

I've recently bought a Pentax Kr as I decided it was about time to move into DSLR territory after years of messing about with rubbishy wee cameras. Still pretty much learning the ropes here, so hoping a place like this might help me out a little. I'm originally from Glasgow, Scotland and have been lucky enough to live in New Zealand for the last 10 years. Truly, one of the most beautiful places on earth.
Have loads of questions, but will try and keep them for the pertinent threads. Anyway...Aw the best from Christchurch

Cheers

Steve
Welcome, ex scot/new kiwi. it is a nice place NZ . Enjoy the ride with photography and on the forum.
11-20-2013, 01:23 PM - 1 Like   #13
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Welcome big man, even though you're down under these days.
11-20-2013, 02:42 PM   #14
Forum Member

Original Poster
Cheers Fella, bit quieter here than in Glasgow
11-20-2013, 02:53 PM   #15
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the welcomes and suggestions, folks. I downloaded Raw Therapee, purely because of the name and no other reason! Mee, thanks for the info and link on Exposure 101 - The Golden Triad - Learn Photography. Fast.. I'll have a read