Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-20-2013, 12:33 AM   #1

Hello from California!

I should start by confessing I shoot a Canon DSLR, the Rebel T1i, and in general I really like it, although it is getting a little old. The Rebel XTi before that was my first DSLR. That said, I was rather excited when Pentax introduced their cameras with sensor stabilization and compatibility with an almost infinite number of existing lenses. To give you an idea what I found myself up against in terms of what I wanted, and what I ended up getting, I accumulated a few fairly standard autofocus lenses: 50 F/1.8 prime and 3 slow, but stabilized zooms: 18-55 IS, 55-250 IS, 75-300 IS.

The bad news is that while they are the easiest lenses to use, my ever-growing collection of manual focus lens can do much more than they can. I have manual lenses covering 17mm up to 500mm, and I have actually shot the 500 with 2 doublers and a 1.4 x during a sunny day of course, so you could say that I have 17mm - 2,800mm usable with manual focus lenses. Almost all of the manual lenses are faster than their AF counterparts. My most convenient macro solutions are all manual lenses as well. I didn't plan it this way, it just sort of happened. I have roughly eight PK mount manual lenses. And roughly another eight or nine Tamron Adaptall-2 lenses. So I can't help but think, if I could get my hands on a Pentax DSLR with stabilization even body only, I would still have 17 lenses ready to shoot with. And they'd all be stabilized!

Still, I will have many questions to work through before I know If I should migrate my manual lenses to a Pentax platform, or continue to make them work on the canon via expensive adapters and autofocus confirmation chips.

At this point I generally like to come here to see what people think of the strengths and weaknesses of certain lenses I have or would like to have. Also, I have admired certain photos that have been uploaded by members here and they have opened my eyes to new ways to uses different lenses. I may be lurking more than posting for a while because most members have more technique than I.

Anyway, hopefully you would lamb baste me for being a Canon shooter. I do actually have some Pentax, Ricoh, and Sears branded Pentax film SLR's but I like digital, so I won't be using them anytime soon.

-Mac

11-20-2013, 12:59 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hello from California! (LA area)
If you are nearby I can lend you a Pentax DSLR to try your manual Pentax mount lenses on.
Oh, but please remove any Ricoh pins or else I will be forced to keep any lens that gets stuck
11-20-2013, 02:15 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Bonjour from France and welcome to PF, Mac ... enjoy the forum. I use a lot of legacy Pentax glass and have a ton of AD-2's - 19AH, 52BB, 23A, 151B, 01B, 140F, etc. w/PKA's & M's; all work great together ... hope to see an image or two soon ... Salut, J

11-20-2013, 12:23 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks for your welcomes, and for the offer. Actually I am in Santa Cruz, several hundred miles away, but thanks for the offer, that would be great! Thanks for the pin warning as well. To Sigma lenses I have are the only ones with the dreaded pin. Even my Rikenon 50mm f/2 does not have the pin!

11-20-2013, 02:31 PM   #5
Veteran Member

A nice area to live in for photos I am sure.
Some of the previous gen Pentax bodies are very affordable now.
Perhaps you will consider a foray away from the dark side for a while
11-20-2013, 03:33 PM   #6
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Welcome, lurk no more, I'd run both systems, it's like having your cake and eating it.
11-21-2013, 11:46 PM   #7

Original Poster
Your right it is a nice area for taking photos. I could see running both systems. In makes sense to me since I have specialized lens that should be much more enjoyable to use on a Pentax body!

Jean, we have a lot of the same Adaptall-2 lenses! You have 01B, and I have 02B, but we must have had the same idea: Get a broad range of high quality lenses and find where it leads us! I have many photos posted on Flickr under the alias of "HandsOff", but have not been all that active there recently because I got sucked into the dark secret society of insect macro shooters.

-Mac

Last edited by Arthur Macmillan; 11-21-2013 at 11:52 PM.