Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-21-2013, 09:25 AM   #1

Brand New K-30 but hoping for more mojo

My sweet husband bought me a K-30 after my Canon Rebel XT died. I was a die hard Pentax fan before that but at the time the Rebel came out, there wasn't a competitive Pentax digital. Pentax has so upped their game that I was able to find a top notch camera in the K-30. But over the years kids, working, etc. have stolen my mojo. I hope this forum will help inspire me.

11-21-2013, 09:46 AM   #2
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, I you find that mojo tell us all so we know where to look for it, as we could all do with some at times.

We're luckier than most folk as we start off with pixie dust in our lenses.
11-21-2013, 10:07 AM   #3

Original Poster
Mojo Location Requested

I have received inquiry about the location of my lost mojo. If anyone can help me let me know
11-21-2013, 10:12 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Get involved in some of the challenges, like this one https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/129-weekly-photo-challenges/242891-projec...distorted.html

It gets you thinking about different aspects of photography, let's you see what others do with the same themes, and if you're disciplined, gives you the option do a bit of research on various styles and expand your photographic horizons. Your mojo will be back in no time.

11-21-2013, 07:04 PM   #5
Pentaxian

I find the Single In...group to be great for Mojo!

Monthly Photo Challenges - PentaxForums.com
11-21-2013, 07:11 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Get involved in some of the challenges, like this one P52-5-44: Perspective — Distorted It gets you thinking about different aspects of photography, let's you see what others do with the same themes, and if you're disciplined, gives you the option do a bit of research on various styles and expand your photographic horizons. Your mojo will be back in no time.
+1 and welcome
11-21-2013, 07:53 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Welcome!

Hello Beryllium, welcome to the Forum!
I'm guessing by Mojo, you mean inspiration and perhaps a bit of magic? If so, I do have some suggestions.
As others have replied, any sort of informal challenge or contest will open up the creative pathways. Life has a way of putting blinders on us, the weight of responsibilities, time restrictions and family pressures. The usual recommendation is 'Get a hobby' but it must be more than that; Ideally, it should be something you care deeply about, something that fuels the creative or artistic drive.
Another option that has helped me is to join a photography club. I'm not generally a 'joiner' (Pentax Forum excepted, of course!), so it's lucky that I found 2 Meetup groups in my area. Sort of a non-club club, no dues, no meetings, no politics. Members suggest a site, event or subject for a 'Meetup", and anyone that wants to go can RSVP. Otherwise, no commitment or responsibility. Those who RSVP'd all meet at the location and take our photos. Some go off alone, others stay with the main group or hook up with one or two friends. Afterwards, there's an optional post-shoot coffee/food gathering.
Photos are posted on a specific club gallery for that event, then it's on the the next one. It's fun, you can meet people with similar interests and it's very flexible as far as scheduling goes. Sign up for the ones you can make, skip the others. Except for the actual meetup, everything else is done online.
Last thing, I'd suggest checking out the "Post your photos" and 'Photo Critique" Forums here. Always some great creative ideas there!
Good Luck, hope you get your Mojo back!
Ron

11-24-2013, 03:56 PM   #8

Original Poster
Thank you for the suggestions

I really appreciate it!
11-25-2013, 01:06 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Welcome from Iowa! I never had mojo, but I do have an adolescent mind which works almost as well! You will get plenty of inspiration from this forum, even if you only look at the posted photo section. Absolutely amazing stuff there!! So dive in and enjoy! Plus I know all about mojo sucking offspring. Youngest got sick and I get to wash like a mountain of bedding!!
Joel
11-26-2013, 08:03 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Welcome!

I will echo Kozlok. The "Single In . . . " challenges are a great way to stay photographically active!
11-30-2013, 06:25 AM   #11
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Beryllium Quote
My sweet husband bought me a K-30 after my Canon Rebel XT died. I was a die hard Pentax fan before that but at the time the Rebel came out, there wasn't a competitive Pentax digital. Pentax has so upped their game that I was able to find a top notch camera in the K-30. But over the years kids, working, etc. have stolen my mojo. I hope this forum will help inspire me.

I'm not sure what this 'mojo' is of which you speak or your style(s) of photography... but if you are needing inspiration, perhaps a DA 50mm f/1.8 or 35mm f/2.4 lens would be of assistance? Fairly cheap and sharp! (both small and lightweight as well)

If you don't have a weather resistant (WR) lens yet, maybe an 18-55 WR would be a nice lens to have in order to make use of the WR abilities of your K-30 (and see the silly shocked faces of others when you are out in the rain with your camera and they are tucked under a canopy hehe)??
11-30-2013, 10:39 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Welcome to PF and bonjour from France, Beryllium ... enjoy the forum and your K-30 ...hope to see an image or two soon ... Salut, J