Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-24-2013, 03:27 AM   #1

G'day all

Hey fellas,

Brendan here from Tasmania, Australia, just nabbed a K100D a couple of days ago, also have a Nikon D7000, been into photography for a few years now, got the D7000 (shared with brother and sister) a few months after they were released.
I'm the primary user of the D7000, mainly shooting things of interest, racing (from RC racing to full size cars and buggies ect...), some land scape and just random things, I prefer spontaneous situations and objects, seems more real and I just prefer the result.

For the D7000 (came with 18-55 and 55-300) I have bought an SB600, Tokina 11-16 f/2.8, a couple of older Nikon lenses and a few filters, have probably racked up 50k-60k shots by myself, a lot of learning in there, pretty much all self taught, at a point now where I have an idea on what I need and can get things in the ball park pretty quick.

I got the K100D because of the filters that came with it mainly but the body and lenses were a bonus, was told the body didnt work, previous owner accidently put in 2 charged and 2 uncharged batteries, which leaked acid.
But I just cleaned it up a bit and popped in a couple of fresh ones and away she went.
Probably took more time trying to find a non SDHC card.

The lenses I got with it were a Sigma 18-125 1:3.5-5.6 DC and a Sigma 70-300 1:4-5.6 DG with Macro to 1:2.
Filters were 1x CP, 1x Warm and 2x UV.
Thought I got a cracka of a deal, only paid $120.

To make a long post even longer, I also had a look at dads old camera gear, found a Chinar 80-100 1:4.5 Macro, took a while to figure out how to get it to work on the body, got it in the end.
Unfortunately an element is all hazy, but oddly enough I kinda liked the result still.
Can't figure out how to adjust the aperture though, always wide open.

Theres a few other lenses but all screw mount, will grab a converter soon and see what they are like.

Looking to move to Pentax sometime in the future as it seems they consistently put out decent crop sensor bodies.
Not a fan of the D7100, since removal of the LPF and continuous shooting being slower and filling up the buffer far too quick.
Other option is the 7D or 70D but as much as I like them, I never find myself wanting a Canon, dunno why.

Another thing is after using this K100D, I really quite like the colours, skin tone and some environments sometimes just dont look right on the Nikon.

A couple of shots I've taken with it so far, just messing about in the back yard.

These are with the old hazy lens.

Sigma Lenses...

11-24-2013, 09:47 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hello and welcome Brendan. You have some nice shots in your intro
11-24-2013, 12:21 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Welcome from Iowa! Your in good hands here, plenty of Aussies running around here! Yep the K100d is a real gem! And you already found the rich color it gives photos. Even though it's only 6megs. I have never been hampered by it! Also the hazy lens makes nice soft dreamlike shots! Cool effect!
Joel
11-24-2013, 12:34 PM   #4
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, great intro, I must admit it's getting harder to get to the bar with all the Aussies in the room, so it must be your round now.

11-25-2013, 02:46 AM   #5

Photos: Albums
Hi, from fellow a Aussie.
Just joined the other day myself.
Good pics!
Cheers
11-25-2013, 05:03 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Hi Brendan, and welcome from a fellow South Islander. Taswegians are a growing presence here on PF. Many more and we'll have enough to challenge the Kiwis…
11-25-2013, 05:15 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Crikey, my number three welcome to new Australian forum members this evening. We're plotting for world domination, one Pentax at a time!

From Adelaide, welcome Brendan.
11-25-2013, 05:53 AM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks fellas.

Wasnt expecting this many Aussies and Tassie people though, that's cool.

Was out with it for a bit today again, thought my shots were pretty average at first but got them on the computer and wow, much better than I expected.
Finding it to be very "artsy", colours are magnificent and requires little PP, wheras I find with the Nikon D7000, they usually require a fair bit of PP to bring the most out of them (shooting RAW with both).
The biggest standout I think is skin tone, pretty much spot on, then just the colours and vibrancy without blowing anything out.

The D7000 is still the workhorse (so to speak), just has a fair few features and abilities I need and like, along with already have some gear to go with it.
Might eventually pick up a second hand K5 or K3 though.

Attached Images