Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
11-24-2013, 11:06 PM - 2 Likes   #1

First Pentax in many years

Just bought a Pentax K-5 after many years away from the brand.
Started with Pentax in early '80s. Drifted to Canon, Nikon and back to Canon by necessity as technologies evolved. Finally back with Pentax after watching and waiting for the brand to develop its DSLR line to the point I was comfortable using it for work and play.
Love the availability of inexpensive manual primes. Those - plus a bunch of cheap zooms for quick dirty work - and the amazing features of this camera really get you re-engaged with your photography. So happy to be back to Pentax ergonomics. Never got comfortable with the other brands and was forever fumbling with the buttons and menus. You can run a Pentax like the old mechanical film cams when you want to, just like back in the days when you had a shutter speed dial, aperture ring and shutter release and everything else was handled between your ears and not through the programming in the camera.
And the colour! My God, the colour and control over the colour reproduction exposure on this camera is amazing!
I love this camera. Sure hope it doesn't break any time soon and Pentax or Ricoh or whatever name it's going by these days keeps cranking out new units.
Chris

11-25-2013, 01:18 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum and more importantly, Welcome back to the Pentax Family!
11-25-2013, 02:33 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Welcome Chris. I reckon Pentax/Ricoh should use your wording in their advertising!

Regards
11-25-2013, 06:43 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome aboard! I like the color rendering on neutral settings as well - I think the other brands over-saturate by default.
Shoot in RAW and watch what you can pull out of an image.

11-25-2013, 09:37 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Welcome from Iowa! You nailed all the selling points!! Even my old K100d will amaze! So I can imagine what a K-5 can do! So dive in and have fun!
Joel
P.S. sounds like you got some experience, and that's always appreciated here.
11-25-2013, 01:56 PM   #6
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Welcome to the forum and it's good to have you back in "the body o' the Kirk."
07-17-2022, 12:11 PM   #7

Original Poster
I have a question about image stabilization in my K5 and K5ii.
In both cameras whe I turn on live view mode the sensor stabilization kicks on and I can hear the sensor roaming all over the place in the camera - a very comforting sound and the IS or SR obviously works when I take a slow shutter speed (relative to lens focal length) shot.
BUT... When I switch off live view the IS (SR) appears to shut off and that's verified by motion blur in test shots.
Yes, SR is turned on and this happens on both cameras regardless of lens used, be it Pentax or aftermarket, old manual legacy lens or modern automatic designs.
Can anybody tell me what the hell I'm doing wrong?

07-17-2022, 12:47 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Chris B Quote
I have a question about image stabilization in my K5 and K5ii.

In both cameras whe I turn on live view mode the sensor stabilization kicks on and I can hear the sensor roaming all over the place in the camera - a very comforting sound and the IS or SR obviously works when I take a slow shutter speed (relative to lens focal length) shot.

BUT... When I switch off live view the IS (SR) appears to shut off and that's verified by motion blur in test shots.

Yes, SR is turned on and this happens on both cameras regardless of lens used, be it Pentax or aftermarket, old manual legacy lens or modern automatic designs.

Can anybody tell me what the hell I'm doing wrong?
How are you testing SR when live view is turned off?

07-17-2022, 04:22 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The only thing I can think is that you aren't giving SR time to spool up. When you have SR on, you press down your shutter halfway and the SR will activate. However it takes time to activate and there is a green hand symbol in the viewfinder that will light up when it is active. Before that symbol is lit up, you are shooting without SR. See pages 139-144. https://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/support/man-pdf/k-5.pdf

I suppose the other possibility is that you are simply experiencing shutter shake, which typically happens in shutter speed between 1/20 and 1/100 second.

The SR is automatically switched off when using self timer and remote activated modes too, but I can't imagine that is what you are dealing with.