Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-28-2013, 10:31 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Purchase a K3 or wait?

Hi everyone
I'm a new member to the site from the UK.
I would like some advice as to whether to purchase the new K3 or wait for the Full Frame model rumoured to be launched in April 2014. Is the advantage of FF worth the wait?
I currently use a K5 for mainly landscape photography.

11-28-2013, 10:48 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sccarter Quote
Hi everyone
I'm a new member to the site from the UK.
I would like some advice as to whether to purchase the new K3 or wait for the Full Frame model rumoured to be launched in April 2014. Is the advantage of FF worth the wait?
I currently use a K5 for mainly landscape photography.
If you're shooting landscapes, the K-3 will give you more resolution, which might be nice. Haven't heard any news of a FF coming in the near future...

The key advantage of FF is low-light/high-iso performance.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-28-2013, 10:49 AM   #3
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum.

Buy the K-3 now and then FF when it arrives, I've been waiting for the FF a good few years already, so don't put off.
11-29-2013, 02:47 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Welcome to the PF and I echo - buy K3 now, you will be amazed at the difference from your K5 and wonder why you didn't buy it sooner.
The Pentax FF will come in it own good time and I'm sure when it comes it will blow our socks of.
But for now the best value for money IMO is the K3.

11-29-2013, 06:28 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Hi, and welcome,
QuoteOriginally posted by sccarter Quote
or wait?
....it probably depends on how old you are...
11-29-2013, 06:57 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

There is no answer. Question is really whether or not you are satisfied with your current camera. If so, then waiting probably isn't a big deal. If not, then you need something to shoot with and the K3 certainly will check most of the boxes out there other than full frame sensor. Then too, I think full frame is coming, but it may not be till summer or fall and if it is put off a little, does that change anything?
11-29-2013, 08:33 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

IMHO the real question is whether to buy the K5II now at $599 or buy the K3 now (or in say February) at about $1200 from Amazon.
11-29-2013, 08:43 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
IMHO the real question is whether to buy the K5II now at $599 or buy the K3 now (or in say February) at about $1200 from Amazon.
I wouldn't get a K5 II over the K5 for primarily landscape photography, though. There are some improvements with low light auto focus, but I don't feel like it would be worth it. At least with the K3, you do see a bump in resolution...

11-29-2013, 09:25 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Hey, welcome!
For landscapes might as well get the K-01 Doubt you need the fast AF and pro features of the top tier DSLRs for landscapes (though maybe you do) - better invest in a tripod, level, and trigger.
The K-5II is at an excellent price right now. The main advantage the K-3 has over it is the slightly faster AF and more resolution. You only need the extra resolution if you make large prints, posters. The K-5II is basically the same as the K-5, but has slightly improved AF. the K-5IIs might be more worth your while, since it produces sharper photos - for landscapes this can be great