Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-28-2013, 01:01 PM   #1

New Here - Just Bought a K-50 and X-5

Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum. I have recently purchased a Pentax K-50 in the two-lens kit, and a Pentax X-5. These are my first two Pentax digital cameras but I am a Pentax user since I got a Spotmatic IIa back in 1975. I still have a Spotmatic and an assortment of five Takumar lenses for that.

I live in the Philly area and am interested in photography of all kinds, though most of my activity over the past few years has been drag racing photography.

Thanks for the forum and I look forward to participating.

Jim

11-28-2013, 03:17 PM   #2
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, it's just great that you can still continue to use your existing lenses with you new kit.
11-28-2013, 04:16 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Gidday Jim,

get yourself an M42 to K adapter (or two) and you will be able to use your Taks on the K-50.
11-28-2013, 04:49 PM   #4

Original Poster
I just bought a Pentax adapter on eBay.

Jim

11-28-2013, 05:08 PM   #5
Site Supporter

If it's a non-genuine one, just be careful that it doesn't get stuck on the camera body.
There are some threads on here about it, and I think the consensus is the safest thing to do is remove the spring retaining clip and screw the adapter onto the lens. Then you can attach lens and adapter together as if it was a normal K-mount lens. There is plenty of friction to hold it securely in place, and this removes the (very real) possibility of the adapter jamming onto the body.

I bought an eBay one for my M42 mini-wide and have it permanently attached to the lens. I also glued a little bit of credit card plastic over the aperture pin so it stops down and meters correctly when the ring is rotated.

The genuine Pentax ones work perfectly but can be difficult to source.
11-28-2013, 05:12 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Merts Quote
If it's a non-genuine one, just be careful that it doesn't get stuck on the camera body.
The one I bought is a used Pentax.

This is the listing for the one I got: Pentax M42 adapter

Does that look okay?

Jim
11-28-2013, 07:55 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Yep. You shouldn't have any troubles with that. It will lock into the body and allow you to screw the old Taks on and off just like you would on the Spotmatic.
11-28-2013, 07:59 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Merts Quote
Yep. You shouldn't have any troubles with that. It will lock into the body and allow you to screw the old Taks on and off just like you would on the Spotmatic.
Great. Thanks for the info.

Jim

11-29-2013, 11:06 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to PF and bonjour from France, Jim ... enjoy the forum and hope to see an image or two soon ... old Taks are great, a few of mine ... Salut, J