Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-30-2013, 01:27 AM   #1
Site Supporter

How did I not find this sooner?!

Hey everyone! I got my K-50 as a birthday present for myself back in August, and I have since been working on a number of different random outings, especially to the state parks here in Pennsylvania. I'm especially interested in learning a bit of astronomy and thus astrophotography, and am most excited to start participating in the challenges and scavenger hunts here in the forums (that is what originally brought me here). I'm excited to find tons of inspiration here, and look forward to getting to know all the other Pentax lovers out there!

Also, I LOVE my K-50. Doubly so after I got the SMCP-DA 50mm f/1.8 prime. That thing is a cheap, tiny little beast and hasn't left my camera since I bought the thing. Kind of regretting not getting the 18-135, but I didn't realize how much i would have gotten from the thing until my return period was over. Other than this oversight, I couldn't be happier with the purchase (seriously... still haven't had ANY buyer's remorse).

Can't wait to hear from all of you, and I look forward to seeing what everyone has accomplished!

iGarfinkle

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
11-30-2013, 02:28 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to PF and bonjour from France, iGranfinkle ... enjoy the forum and your K-50 ... hope to see another image or two soon ... Salut, J
11-30-2013, 04:13 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Here are a couple of links that you might enjoy...

Last edited by interested_observer; 11-30-2013 at 04:19 AM.
11-30-2013, 11:30 AM   #4
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by iGarfinkle Quote
How did I not find this sooner?
Welcome to the forum, well you found us eventually, enjoy what you find here.

12-01-2013, 10:28 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
These place I HAD found!

These 4 sites are responsible for vast amounts of lost already! I like where your head's at!

Also... update.... after looking around on this site a little and seeing a great deal on the 18-135 WR i bit the bullet, traded in my kit lenses, and upgraded to the beast. Couldn't be happier with the results so far, and I even managed to sway a customer at the camera store to go with the K50 (or so it seemed as we were leaving). Now down to one great all-purpose and one great prime. This should keep me happy for the foreseeable future, and if not happy then certainly broke. Can't wait to test drive this thing for real!
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
12-02-2013, 05:52 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There is also an awful lot of material on google (then click on videos and/or images then select what looks interesting) - just enter astrophotography. Or just go to youtube and do the same. Just trundle through the lists. Unfortunately the next acquisition will be a tripod and head - check craigslist. Lots of folks get one and never use it. A used one is a great way to start on the cheap.

12-02-2013, 06:12 AM   #7

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forums. Glad you are enjoying your K-50 so much and that you found a good deal on the 18-135. I have that lens myself and it definitely makes a good walk-around lens and that it is WR is even better!

12-02-2013, 11:54 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Welcome from Iowa! I see you have been bit by the bug!! There is no cure!! So you might as well enjoy the sickness!! Besides it only hurts the pocket!!
Joel
P.S That last photo was cool and a bit scary! What is it??
12-02-2013, 03:46 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Space 'n Stuff

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
There is also an awful lot of material on google (then click on videos and/or images then select what looks interesting) - just enter astrophotography. Or just go to youtube and do the same. Just trundle through the lists. Unfortunately the next acquisition will be a tripod and head - check craigslist. Lots of folks get one and never use it. A used one is a great way to start on the cheap.

Already been there, and thanks to a tip from a friend I planned ahead and got myself a legit tripod instead of just some $70 amazon thing! That was no easy task either, since I'm a spot over 6'3" and finding something the went high enough took some eBay scouring. Got a sweet deal on a Manfrotto that included a head, plus I made a Barn Door Tracker but I'm not sure how well that worked last time. May need to put looser rubber bands on it.

We went up to Black Moshannon State Park in PA a few weeks ago and these were some of the results. Orion is clearly visible, but I'm not entirely sure which star cluster I managed to snap.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo