Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-30-2013, 06:24 PM   #1

A new K-5II on the way.

Hello, A new K-5II owner here who finally took the plunge. I loved my 35mm film camera and have never head the same feeling or results with the low cost digital point and shoot cameras I have owned. My question is ( if I can only afford 2 WR lenses at this time, what 2 lenses would be best to start with.) I have a DA 55-300mm f/4-5.8 ED lens on order also, but I'm thinking that may have been the wrong choice, even though the price at $300 looked good. The 55-300mm may have to be returned and replaced with a different WR lens. I haven't made a final decision yet.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you KevinT

11-30-2013, 07:38 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The 55-300 is an excellent lens for the price. But I'd say that one wr zoom is probably enough, and I'd recommend adding some primes to your bag like the 35mm or 50mm, both of which are also a great value.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-30-2013, 08:47 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
What Do You Shoot?

Hello Kevin, Welcome to the Forum!
Without knowing what your interests are (shooting style, favorite subjects, etc) it's pretty hard to recommend a lens. For example, if you like outdoors, wildlife, nature, you'll likely get a lot of use out of the telephoto. In addition to that, a short zoom or prime would be good for landscapes.
My situation was the opposite; I do a lot of street and urban shooting, some scenic and landscapes. Since I already own several non-WR primes, the one lens that seemed best for my chosen subjects (in WR) was a wide-to-normal zoom. So, I purchased the 18-55mm WR 'kit' zoom, used, for $120 US. Yes, it has a reputation for being soft wide open and at 55mm, but I just stop down to f/8.0 and try to practice good technique when I use it. So far, so good!
Another factor would be lens speed, that is, having a wide maximum aperture for low-light (often called 'available light') conditions. For example, any live performance like music, dance, possibly indoor sports. A lens with a max aperture of f/1.7, f/2.0, up to f/2.8 would be the most useful for this type of shooting.
That's a situation where the DA 50mm f/1.8 and 35mm f/2.4 mentioned by Adam would be handy.
It really depends on where your interests lie. Macro, nature, night scenes, street, scenics, candids, outdoor sports would all benefit from WR. But, not necessarily the same WR lens!
Ron
11-30-2013, 09:05 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by KevinT Quote
Hello, A new K-5II owner here who finally took the plunge. I loved my 35mm film camera and have never head the same feeling or results with the low cost digital point and shoot cameras I have owned. My question is ( if I can only afford 2 WR lenses at this time, what 2 lenses would be best to start with.) I have a DA 55-300mm f/4-5.8 ED lens on order also, but I'm thinking that may have been the wrong choice, even though the price at $300 looked good. The 55-300mm may have to be returned and replaced with a different WR lens. I haven't made a final decision yet.

I primarily photograph outdoors. Landscapes, wildlife and some macro close-ups. Montana offers endless subject material and I expect to expand on the types of photography I will do in the future. My main question would be if a WR zoom be the best choice in either 55-300mm or another focal length (if that is the correct term.) or if a non-WR lens can perform well if it can be kept as clean and dry as possible while outside. I have a lot to learn.

11-30-2013, 09:15 PM   #5

Original Poster

I'm not sure if I explained this well. The 55-300mm lens on the way is not WR. I may want 2 WR lenses that I can use until I learn more and can afford additional lenses.
11-30-2013, 10:30 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Welcome to PF and bonjour from France, KevinT ... enjoy the forum and your K-5ii ...hope to see an image or two soon ... Salut, J

12-01-2013, 02:22 AM   #7
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
who finally took the plunge
Welcome to the forum, I'm sure you wont regret your choice, enjoy her once you get her.
12-01-2013, 03:16 AM   #8

Photos: Albums
Perhaps you should look at the 18-135 WR if you want a general purpose option with weather sealing. Then could have a couple of decent cheap primes like to DA 35 2.4 and DA 50 1.8 as they'll easily fit into a bag to give you some options for faster indoor shooting etc.

But if you want something longer and WR is important then just swap your 55-300 for the new WR version.

12-01-2013, 04:42 AM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by thechumpen Quote
Perhaps you should look at the 18-135 WR if you want a general purpose option with weather sealing. Then could have a couple of decent cheap primes like to DA 35 2.4 and DA 50 1.8 as they'll easily fit into a bag to give you some options for faster indoor shooting etc.

But if you want something longer and WR is important then just swap your 55-300 for the new WR version.
Hi Kevin,

Yes, the new version of the 55-300 is WR, so maybe time for an upgrade?! I stay away from zooms, normally, but for longer focal lengths the alternatives are not in my price range! I do recommend the FA lenses, not least the FA77 and the FA43, two excellent lenses! DA15 is a nice wide lens, and the DA40 is the only one I use nowadays!
12-01-2013, 05:23 AM   #10
Site Supporter

Hello and welcome!

The 55-300 is very nice for all things out of doors, and I would choose the WR version if I could.

However, even the non-WR can handle a drizzle. I try to keep it away from the rain as best I can, and wipe it dry whenever I can. And I have used mine a lot in dusty conditions with no problems at all.

For me I find the 18-135 more important as a WR lens than would be the 55-300 simply because rain tends to ruin details too much for tele use anyway, and the light will often also be rather bad.

But if you can get the WR version of the 55-300 without paying too much extra you probably should. $300 sounds like a very good price, though.