Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-01-2013, 01:35 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Just entered the Pentax world. And now?

Hi everybody.

I just entered the Pentax world by buying my first Pentax and, of course, by registering in PentaxForums. I have been playing with my new K3 for a week and I am just amazed by the solid rock that it is, it's ergonomics and, most important, by the quality of the images it produces right out of the camera. But, as a newborn to the Pentax system, what are your best advices to get the most out of the (also new) K3?

By the way, I bought the K3 kit with the 18-135kit plus the handgrip. As soon my budget recovers I intend to buy the 100 wr macro and then the 60-250 (not necessary by this order) as my interests are nature, wildlife and macro.

Looking forward to receive your comments.

Cheers from Portugal.

Alex

12-01-2013, 05:56 AM   #2
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by AlexZav Quote
Just entered the Pentax world. And now?
Welcome to the forum, And now... just get out there and enjoy your photography it's as simple as that.
12-01-2013, 06:25 AM   #3
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome aboard!

Actually, I think the K-3 isn't the best camera for a beginner. My K-5 would be much better, so I suggest we swap!

OK, congrats on getting one of the best cameras on the market! As the Scotsman said above, get out there and take lots of pictures. Get out of Auto mode, experiment with different apertures, learn the limits of the camera. And have a look at what shooting raw format can do for you. I find it indispensable.

Enjoy, and do use the forums! Lots of friendly and resourceful people here
12-01-2013, 09:36 PM   #4

Welcome!

You've got some great choices of lenses. Either you've done some research or you're experienced enough with camera's to understand your choices.

Enjoy your K3.

12-02-2013, 02:16 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks to you all.

I have to play with my new toy, that's a fact. And as a web geek usually says in his shirts: "I shoot raw".

Let us have fun.
12-02-2013, 02:21 PM   #6
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
As the Scotsman said above
That'll be me then.
12-02-2013, 02:49 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Welcome. "Take lots of photos" is what should come next The 100 and the 60-250 are great lenses but you can already get a lot out of your 18-135.

12-02-2013, 09:21 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Welcome from Iowa! Awesome setup you have! I'm a bit jealous! But I'll get over it! It's been already said, but I'll repeated it. Enjoy it! Photography should be fun!! And shoot everything!! There are many here that carry a camera everywhere so they don't miss anything.
Joel
12-02-2013, 09:26 PM   #9

Go out and take pictures. Play with a feature and/or mode long enough to get the feel of what it does.
12-02-2013, 10:15 PM   #10
mee
Veteran Member

Consider shooting RAW (DNG format) and getting some RAW image processing software / image managing software.. such as Adobe Lightroom or even Photoshop Elements for starters..

beyond that, as most say, just get outside and take a lot of photos.. don't be afraid to take some really lousy images.. from them you can improve..
12-03-2013, 05:12 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

More Stuff?

Hello Alex, welcome to the forum!
As everyone has already said, taking lots of photos and learning from the results is the best teacher.
And a good photo-processing app like Lightroom will help enhance, file and organize your photos.
Now, I don't want to scare you off by suggesting you spend more money(!) but there are a few accessories that will improve your photos and make life easier.
First, buy good SD cards. Class 10, 16gb or 32gb cards from a quality maker like SanDisk would be my suggestion.
Second, buy at least one extra battery, to keep (fully charged) in the battery grip. The grip also has a slot for an extra card. Running out of memory space or battery power during a great photo opportunity is not fun!
Buy a good-quality circular polarizing filter to fit your lens. This won't be cheap, but is a long-time investment.
Start looking at tripods, to get an idea of the price, weight and quality. A tripod is in your future!
Buy a 'Rocket Blower' to clean the sensor. As soon as you start changing lenses, you will need it. There are many online tutorials for this.
Keep shooting and post some photos!
Good luck,
Ron
12-04-2013, 04:05 AM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rbefly Quote
Hello Alex, welcome to the forum!
As everyone has already said, taking lots of photos and learning from the results is the best teacher.
And a good photo-processing app like Lightroom will help enhance, file and organize your photos.
Now, I don't want to scare you off by suggesting you spend more money(!) but there are a few accessories that will improve your photos and make life easier.
First, buy good SD cards. Class 10, 16gb or 32gb cards from a quality maker like SanDisk would be my suggestion.
Second, buy at least one extra battery, to keep (fully charged) in the battery grip. The grip also has a slot for an extra card. Running out of memory space or battery power during a great photo opportunity is not fun!
Buy a good-quality circular polarizing filter to fit your lens. This won't be cheap, but is a long-time investment.
Start looking at tripods, to get an idea of the price, weight and quality. A tripod is in your future!
Buy a 'Rocket Blower' to clean the sensor. As soon as you start changing lenses, you will need it. There are many online tutorials for this.
Keep shooting and post some photos!
Good luck,
Ron

Thanks for the recommendations Ron.

My backpack (a Vanguard Uprise 45) is already packed with some of the gear you recommend (a tripod - Vanguard Alta Pro 264 AB 100 - the battery grip already juiced, Sandisk Extreme Pro 16&32gb) and I use Lightroom 4. Still missing a polarizer and the blower but, as I said, my back account is now in a "inducted coma" and needs to recover... So, on the gear side I am more or less covered. My question is more on the Pentax specifics: what can be the best settings to fine tune the camera for sharper photos and/or what is that green button function? All those kind of Pentax novice questions - but that also reading the manual, experiment and reading the forum can give some hints...

Cheers.