Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-06-2013, 05:05 AM   #1

Hi everyone

Hi,

I am John and I am from Malta, Europe.

I own a Pentax ME Super which I bought new in about 1982 (I think). it worked very well up to the time I had a problem with the shutter jamming up. I sent it to the UK to have it fixed but the problem re-emerged after a little while. The UK people also sent me back someone else's camera case which was all wrinkled up (unlike mine which was pristine). Those were not the internet days and I was very young so I just gave up. Yeah pretty daft I know. But anyway, although I never repaired the camera I still kept it and my trusty Vivitar flash.

I have to say that, while it worked, I took a lot of photos in both colour and black/white and was very pleased with the outcome. Most was done using automatic mode as I was never very much into the more technical side of photography.

Later on I bought an Olympus Camedia 750Z 4 Megapixel digital camera, which still works and takes decent photos (at least definitely better than ones from a mobile phone) but has a horrible shutter lag.

I am now looking to buy a digital SLR because finally - after over 30 years -I want to make this a proper hobby. Actually it would be my only really creative outlet as I don't play music or draw or anything else.

Unfortunately I keep going round in circles. After much research I have almost decided to go for a new Nikon D3200 or D5200 but at one point was toying with the idea of maybe capitalizing on my original pentax lens (K mount) and buying a Pentax body instead. And this is basically what led me here (with a pinch of curiosity thrown in).

To add to the confusion, I just read an article which stated that full-format dslr sensors would soon be cheaper and thus would force out the APS-C sensor "DX" cameras. But quite frankly I don't really care because I could go on using it anyway, just as I could use my Olympus if I wanted to.

By the way I bought my Pentax camera for around USD 900 originally. Which makes it pretty expensive for those days.

I also have to say that it came as a big surprise to see that film is still in use today. But I do not think I will go there again because its very much more expensive and time-consuming to use film.

This means that probably I won't be here very long, but it was nice to say hello to fellow Pentax owners just the same!

Cheers,

John

12-06-2013, 12:17 PM   #2
Moderator PEG Judges
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, great intro, you may well surprise yourself and hang around longer than you intended, when you find out all the good things going on here.

I'm so jealous, Malta's a beautiful place to be, I've stayed several times now at the Corinthia Palace Hotel opposite the President's Palace at San Anton Gardens in Attard, when doing assignments in Malta.
12-06-2013, 04:15 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks for the welcome..
I am toying with the idea of buying a used Pentax K200d, but have no idea if my ME Super prime lens would fit this body.
i thought that rather than spend over €700 up front, a uses Pentax might be a good way to get started whilst I learn more about the hobby, and even later on I could use it whenever I need a tough travelling companion.
I would really appreciate your opinion as to this approach..
12-07-2013, 12:28 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to PF and "bonjour" from France, John ... enjoy the forum and hope to see a Pentax image or two soon ... Salut, J