Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-07-2013, 01:30 AM   #1

Hello all

Hello everyone

Just made the plunge into the slr world with my new k-30 camera.

After reading to many reviews on cameras in the last few days decided to pop out and try them out in my hand with no intention on buying one......

Anyway saw the last k-30 in the shop (discounted to clear) and could not resist.

So 300 lighter and a manual that seems to be in another language (shutter speed, AF) I am a happy owner of the k-30.

Looking forward to taking photos and the steep learning curve.

12-07-2013, 05:48 AM   #2
Forum Member

You made a very good choice. You'll have fun with the K-30, that's for sure. Welcome and post some pics if you like.
12-07-2013, 06:40 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
New K-30!

Hello Guest, welcome to the forum!
You've got a fine DSLR in the K-30, just don't be overwhelmed by the many features. Although some of the purists here will object, my suggestion is to start with the mode dial (upper left-hand dial) in 'P' or 'A' -program or auto- at first. That's letting the camera make the decisions for the basic settings.
Now, it's functioning like a big point + shoot, aim and click. This will allow you to work on your composition (how much you zoom, what's in the viewfinder frame, what you leave out. etc.), lighting, subject. Overall this will provide you with properly-exposed, 'safe' snapshots, as you learn to use the camera.
Next, download one of the free processing apps like Picasa, FastStone or Gimp to your PC. As you download your latest photos to the app, you'll see (usually on the right side of the screen) a list called EXIF data. These are all the settings the camera selected for the different lighting, distance and subjects you photographed.
As you study this, some patterns and choices will begin to make sense. Soon, you'll want to try different settings, just to see how they look on a particular scene; That's when the real learning curve begins!
Any questions or comments along the way, post them in the appropriate forum and we'll try to help!
Last, you might take a look at comments by other users of this camera, here;
Pentax K-30 - Pentax K-mount DSLRs - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications
Good luck,
Ron
12-07-2013, 09:52 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Welcome aboard! You definitely have a learning curve ahead of you, but it will really be worth it when you succeed in climbing it! Take lots of pictures, ask lots of questions, post pictures and ask for comments.

And most importantly: have fun!

12-07-2013, 10:56 AM   #5
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by guest Quote
So 300 lighter
Welcome to the forum, I have a feeling this could be just the start of your expenditure.
12-07-2013, 01:42 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thank you all

QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
Welcome to the forum, I have a feeling this could be just the start of your expenditure.

Well I saved myself some money on the camera with kit lens so I can always use that with the misses

I managed to take over 260 photos on a day out today (wood carving show and walking the dog) and managed to get some really nice pics (mostly in auto mode ) The speed of the shots is incredible (coming from a point and shoot) and the colour and detail in some of the shots is amazing. Loving it.
12-07-2013, 01:45 PM   #7
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
detail in some of the shots is amazing. Loving it.
Good stuff and long may that continue for you.
12-09-2013, 12:27 PM   #8

Original Poster

Two images I am very happy with using manual focus and AV

12-09-2013, 12:57 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Welcome from Iowa! Enjoy that new camera!! It's the beginning of a whole new world!! And don't worry about junk shots(if you have any) they don't cost anything and lots of practice is good for the skill!
Joel
12-09-2013, 03:19 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to PF and "bonjour" from France, guest ... enjoy the forum and the K-30 ... hope to see an image or two soon ... Salut, J
12-11-2013, 03:12 AM   #11
Forum Member

Hi guest,

sadly I cannot see the images...(but maybe it's a problem on my side)
12-11-2013, 03:27 AM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bernie_Rain Quote
Hi guest,

sadly I cannot see the images...(but maybe it's a problem on my side)
I think it was me Lets try again ....

12-12-2013, 06:28 PM   #13
Forum Member

Hi Guest,

now I see the photos.
Nice, that you venture on using AV and MF. Don't forget to try the "focus peaking" feature when using Live-View and MF.
12-13-2013, 12:16 PM   #14

Original Poster
Never tried the live view. Just using VF and MF

The moss pic i was just trying to focus on the stick/bud/leaf thing and leave everything else out. The grass pic was done the same way, just trying to focus on one bit of grass. Is this not the correct way?
12-13-2013, 05:40 PM   #15
Forum Member

Is this not the correct way?
Nothing wrong in doing so. You just have to realize (and I'm sure you do), that - depending on the aperture - the depth of field can be very shallow.
When shooting macros for example, I personally use (almost always) a tripod and mostly "Live-View" - as the contrast detection AF is precise and quite fast on the K-30.
When I use MF, then I quite often switch on "Focus Peaking" in the Menu, so that I can see exactly by the outlines which part will be sharp.

You don't need these things to make great photos, it worked for ages without it, but when these aids are there - why not use them?