Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-07-2013, 10:42 AM   #1

Merry Christmas from newbie Sue

I am an artist who loves painting landscapes but doesn't have the time to set up outdoors to paint. So I started taking pictures and wanted to upgrade to a better camera. Found a Pentax K200 and just love it. Have numerous lens which I am still figuring out what to use when. I just upgraded to a Pentax K30 and with its 16 mp found I can print out 13 x 19 pictures on my wide format printer with great detail. This all translates into better art. I still have alot of learning to do on the set up of the camera. For example, I have a large brilliant ring that I would like to sell but when I take a picture of it, it actually looks like its broken. What settings do I need to use to get a decent picture of it showing its brilliance?

Name:  IMGP1681.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  128.9 KB

Thanks and am looking forward to learning from all of you,
Sue

12-07-2013, 11:01 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
To set off the ring, you need a plain background for starters. The ring just disappears into the wood. I suggest you vary the background until you get what you want. The beauty of the digital camera is that the film costs nothing.

Second, you need to be closer to the ring. Without knowing what lenses you have, we cannot give a specific recommendation as to which lens would be best.
12-07-2013, 11:17 AM   #3
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, rings are not the easiest of things to photograph. A good table top set up, tripod and decent lighting would be the way forward.

Search the forum I believe there's quite a few threads on this sort of thing.
12-07-2013, 06:45 PM   #4

I bought some gray cards to help with white balance so that may be helpful for you too to get the colors right.

« Hi | Saying hello »