Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-08-2013, 09:21 AM   #1

Hello from Central PA

Long time visitor. Now in the market for a used DA* 16-50.

12-08-2013, 09:59 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hello and welcome to the Forums
12-08-2013, 09:59 AM   #3

Original Poster
Long time visitor.

My photographic journey began very young. My first real dabbling happened in my college years when I afforded myself a refurbished Nikon D40 for a cool $300. The kit lens got quite limiting quickly. Then after learning about fast lenses, found myself frustrated limited to the new non-screw drive nikon lenses. Nonetheless, a black friday a year later, I got a deal on a Sigma 30mm 1.4 and oh how I fell in love with smooth creamy buttery bokeh in natural indoor light. Most of my needs at the time were exactly that, family photos at parties for the holidays. Then when I'm out in the sun, I took for granted how useful the electronic 1/500 flash sync speed was which became sorely missed when I dabbled in the micro 4/3 system with a Panasonic G2 in blue. I wanted even something smaller than the D40 at the time. While I enjoyed the system the smaller sensor and limited selection of fast glass at the time, I found myself missing my D40.

So looking for everything I wanted:

Bokeh: large sensor, fast glass
Low light indoor capabilities: high-ISO and IS
Portability
Weather sealing: Had my panny out in the snow and it started acting strange and lost multiple shots that I know I took.
Affordable

I jumped on to the Pentax camp and got myself a K-30 1 year ago. Plus a DA 70 Limited on ebay for an awesome price. Sorely wanting a FA 31 but not having that kind of funds, I went back to a personal favorite, Sigma 30 1.4.

Now its winter again and I still don't have a weather sealed lens. So Now in the market for a used DA* 16-50. I just sold my Sigma to fund this purchase (no way i'm parting with my DA 70). Although, the recent review of the new sigma 35mm 1.4 art series lens here at PF and the bokeh on that just made me all warm inside. I want it, but damn that's a huge lens.

I know the 16-50 is also quite large but it has the weather sealing I have been wanting. So on to the market place. Just need one more post before I can PM someone. Happy Holidays everyone!
12-08-2013, 10:09 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by romwild Quote
Long time visitor. Now in the market for a used DA* 16-50.
Welcome, I enjoy using that lens a lot. Are you near Benezette PA? Went there a year ago to photograph elk, may try again in Fall 2014 during rut.

12-08-2013, 10:24 AM   #5
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, hope you find that lens your looking for soon.