Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-08-2013, 01:48 PM   #1

Hello there!

My name is David.

Been an admirer of Pentax equipment for a couple years now. I occasionally read reviews, peruse work and decided to join the forums.

Thanks!

12-08-2013, 02:08 PM   #2
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, you may well become an owner of Pentax one day rather than just an admirer now your a forum member.
12-08-2013, 08:04 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forums.
QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
you may well become an owner of Pentax one day rather than just an admirer now your a forum member.
+1 nothing like admiring it from an owners standpoint
12-08-2013, 10:11 PM - 1 Like   #4

Original Poster
Thanks guys!

I have owned 2 pentax lenses, but recently sold one back because it was altered by the previous owner. I've had my eye on the k5 because it's within my price range (and more importantly has gotten great reviews) just a bit unsure about the cropped sensor compromise.

12-09-2013, 01:36 AM   #5

Photos: Albums
My name is Charlie Barkin. I am from the Philippines.

I am a new comer to the Pentax family. I recently acquire a Pentax X-5 bridge camera this year and want to go Pentax Q instead. But here in the Philippines, Pentax are very dodgy in there services. Not all photo supply store here want to sell Pentax except for just a few.

Very soon I might own a Pentax DSLR but for now I will just stick with my current equipment. Pentax is a nice brand but people over look it due to it's not so popular status in the market. I like there DSLR because of there weather sealed nature and toughness. The price is inexpensive too on both there lenses and cameras. Now that Pentax is a Ricoh company, hope they make there presence aware to some customers out there who want a cheap all around system with very good results.

By the way, I am a Linux user. Pentax really give us open source user a camera that we can love for years. Hope they make there presence aware to all open source software users or photographers out there.
12-09-2013, 07:08 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Welcome to the both of you!

The presence of Pentax (or lack thereof) is certainly one of the things Ricoh needs to get fixed. Looks like they are working on it, though!
12-09-2013, 12:41 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by davidblue1984 Quote
just a bit unsure about the cropped sensor compromise
Welcome from Iowa! I wouldn't worry about any compromise. I don't even notice any difference. What's in the viewfinder ends up in the shot! The reality is all the Pentax photos on this forum are aps-c and a lot of them are mind blowing!! And the rest are just fantastic!! So grab that Pentax and enjoy yourself!!
Joel
12-09-2013, 03:23 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to PF and "bonjour" from France, David ... enjoy the forum and hope to see an image or two soon ... Salut, J

12-12-2013, 01:20 AM   #9

Original Poster
thanks for the welcome!
12-16-2013, 04:19 PM   #10

Thanks guys!

I have owned 2 pentax lenses, but recently sold one back because it was altered by the previous owner. I've had my eye on the k5 because it's within my price range (and more importantly has gotten great reviews) just a bit unsure about the cropped sensor compromise.
Hello!

There is no need to worry about the crop-factor with the old lenses. It is pretty meaningless when it comes to composition. The scene is however you choose to capture it based on what you want to put in the viewfinder.
12-16-2013, 06:18 PM   #11

Original Poster
Perhaps I need to rethink my assumptions about cropped sensor cameras. I did own maybe 5 years ago a 4/3 camera and I did take some pretty cool pictures. Just felt like I was always somewhat limited compared to the potential of a full frame.

Do most people who embrace Pentax bodies such as the k10 or k5 generally just buy wider angle lens to compensate for the particular composition they are trying to correctly frame/crop? Is that the best way to think about minimizing any assumptions/prejudices I may have?

thanks!
David
12-16-2013, 09:13 PM   #12

Perhaps I need to rethink my assumptions about cropped sensor cameras. I did own maybe 5 years ago a 4/3 camera and I did take some pretty cool pictures. Just felt like I was always somewhat limited compared to the potential of a full frame.

Do most people who embrace Pentax bodies such as the k10 or k5 generally just buy wider angle lens to compensate for the particular composition they are trying to correctly frame/crop? Is that the best way to think about minimizing any assumptions/prejudices I may have?

thanks!
David
With the older film camera lenses, yes, you lose some of the field-of-view. However, the lenses made for the APS-C bodies return things to the status quo. For my Pentax's I only own two crop sensor lenses, both zooms...
1) ...because they are weather resistant.
2) ...because the short one does provide a wider view for shooting indoors.
3) ...gives me auto-focus for when I need to focus quickly.

Other than that though, all of my other -seven- lenses are old film SLR M42-mount manual fast primes. And they are the ones I enjoy using more. That's because they are either cheaper, faster, and/or simply impart (in my opinion) a nicer look to images than the modern lenses. I don't ever think about FF vs. APS-C, I just compose and shoot. If you put a FF lens on a crop sensor body, the view is the view. You just work with it as it is. It really is no issue. If you -have to- have a wider field-of-view then just get a modern lens.

Think about it this way. You've used zoom lenses before. Didn't you find your self zooming the lens to some focal length that was not one of the standards lengths? Sure you did, and that didn't stop you from snapping the shot. A traditional film lens on a APS-C body equates to the same thing...field-of-view-wise.

Last edited by zekewhipper; 12-16-2013 at 09:23 PM.
12-16-2013, 09:21 PM   #13

thanks!
David
How did the 4/3rds make you feel limited vs. FF? It may have been a situation related more your skills and use of the camera than what kind it was.
12-16-2013, 10:49 PM   #14

Original Poster
Good point regarding slightly zooming in to get that sweet spot with the zoom lens. That analogy makes sense to me.

I think i've taken what I consider to be good pictures with both a 4/3 and entry level ff. I guess there are subtle visual nuances that I tend to notice. Maybe it's in my head.

Usually a good indicator for me is when i go to flickr.com and explore the images based on camera model, I tend to be more drawn say to those shot from a canon 5d than a pentax k5 even though everything i'm told to believe about the tech specs (iso, megapixels, low light, etc etc) should indicate that the images from the k5 should blow me away/)

I guess i'm a big fan of pentax lenses so far and have yet to experience whats possible with the pentax bodies.

David