Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-15-2013, 10:22 AM   #1

Jason from Hong Kong

Hi everyone,

I have been a visitor here for a while since I bought my K-r alomst two years ago.

Previously, I had dreamt of buying a Nikon DSLR with a CCD sensor, such as D80 or D90. But I did not have enough money as a secondary student. Therefore, I started with my digital photography with an Olympus U-mini, as a gift from a Bank for application of a credit card (a common practice in Hong Kong, but no longer that generous now), then Canon S3 IS until graduation.

I realized I wanted to do more with photography so it was no longer just about a superzoom and foldable screen, and that a back-up DC would be handy. So after selling Fujifilm S200EXR, I still have K-r, a second-hand GRDIII and a second-hand Fujifilm F47fd.

I had been especially impressed with the colour and build quality of Nikon cameras. However, since APS-C and FF CMOS sensors were introduced, I found that colour and texture of a photos matters more, which explains why I am keeping these cameras with me right now.

As for my pentaxian history, I used to have a 35/2.4 together with the K-r kit set. Now I have a 17-70, a 55-300 and a M50/1.2. I am happy with them at the moment except that 17-70 hunts often so I want to fix it somehow. I am planning to buy a flashgun as well, currently negotiating to buy a second-hand Metz 58 AF-1 for upcoming weddings of my relatives and so on.

Like many of you, I am waiting for a FF Pentax DSLR. It is not only about the Pentaxians' wants, but reflects the experience and ability of Pentax in terms of optical design and vision. Nevertheless, K-3 should succeed my K-r someday, maybe in 2015 :P

One last word, does anyone know if I could disable the SDM drive of my 17-70? I prefer using screwdrive as my K-r with 18-55 has worked well and fast. All I ask for is to have the same focusing performance with my 17-70.

It can wait for some years but these days my GRDIII does not function well with its main dial after several accidents during my stay in Toronto before I bought K-r. It has inspired me to work on snapshot and B&W photography and I am still in love with it even though I am much busier now as a university graduate.

Thank you for your time!

Jason from Hong Kong

12-15-2013, 10:45 AM   #2
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, remember to post some images of your amazing Hong Kong when you get a chance.
12-15-2013, 11:10 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Your 17-70 does not have screw drive; it is electronic only. When my 16-50 + K10 starts hunting, I switch to manual focus. I installed an LL-60 matte screen to assist. Others use screens with focus aids such as prisms and split image, but I use spot metering enough that losing it would be a nightmare for me. You might try setting the AF to centre point only. That should reduce hunting, but you will have to use focus and reframe.
12-15-2013, 03:30 PM   #4

Welcome Jason.