Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-16-2013, 07:41 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Noobie McNoob

Hey guys
Thought id get on here an just ask instead of lurking and getting no where.
Sifting though the beginner stuff, but though id see what you would recommend for the first things you would do with a DSLR.

Like the first actions to really test it out.
The first edits/tutorials/PS work to try.
First functions to mess with on the camera itself.
Other fancy stuff/alterations/fancy lenses or things other than a fish eye that can produce different effects.

Thanks

12-16-2013, 08:05 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Learn your camera and lens. Then figure out what other lenses you'd really like to have to get shots you can't get with your original kit.

I like the TAv mode the most, it seems the most flexible mode for in-field use. I'd also recommend shooting RAW+ or just RAW and doing your own post-processing.

I prefer neutral settings in the camera. I found the Vibrant settings over saturated colors too much, and didn't look like what the eye sees.
12-16-2013, 08:14 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
1. Take my photography class, oops, I've been retired for 6 years now, ok, scratch that one.
2. Pick a place that you can work un-interrupted. Find an object to take a picture of. Set the camera to AV. Figure out how to change the Aperture. Take a picture of an object at ƒ4, ƒ 5.6 ƒ 11 and ƒ 22. Try different angles, camera in front above and below, right side, possibly left side, light, front light back light, then find a white sheet of paper to use as a reflector and repeat the setups, from each new position shoot all 4 ƒ stops. You end up with a huge number of pictures, then do it again with the various in camera filters, the HDR setting and any other features you might be interested in. Then I'd go through them all and see which I liked best.

Obviously you don't have to do what I'd do, but, figure out a systematic way to explore the camera that suits your photographic interests.
12-16-2013, 09:35 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Welcome from Iowa!! What TER-OR and normhead said. And I'll add practice!! A lot!! Unlike the film days, there is no limit to digital!! And have fun!! If you're not enjoying it, then what's the point!! Unless of course you're a famous celeb. photographer make merry barrels of cash!!!
Joel

12-17-2013, 03:37 PM   #5
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome, lurk no more, your now fully introduced to us all.
01-09-2014, 08:55 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks guys appreciated.

normhead- That is probably what i would go and do anyway, as like you said, its a systematic approach.
Whilst time consuming, would give a look at everything.

Alas im known for getting to bogged down into it, and over trying all the combinations,
and never really finding too much useful.

I know everyone has got different tastes, it is what makes us unique, and not expecting to like everything everyone suggests,...
but specific "wow factor" things i could try, to really jump me into some different approaches?

ie; For lanscape/nature try this lense/mode with x in this mode
-Have a look at macro photos in this filter x
-Try this new way to capture x

Must admit looking on the forums would love to try the smoke capture and editing, droplet/water, macro photography. Also came across some beautiful dynamic landscape and urban photos, that made me think of asking these questions, as would be great to see some kind of catalogue library, that labels each, this cam + lens + filter + used with the PS technique = unique style to try.

But i totaly understand the advice given
I will have to experiment. Just for those times i get too bogged down would like to try working examples out
Any resource like this?