Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-18-2013, 01:54 AM   #1

Hello everyone

Just introducing myself. My name is Jesse, and I am just entering the world of Pentaxians. I've shot Nikon cameras for the last 10 years or so, but after shooting my K1000 with old Pentax and Takumar lenses that I inherited from my grandfather, I had a change of heart. The quality won me over, and I have become sort of turned off by Nikon lately. I plan to have a K-3 as soon as possible, along with some new lenses to go along. For sure a 70-200 2.8, and either a 17-70, or a 24-70, along with a few primes, and an ultrawide zoom.

Anyway, Hello.

12-18-2013, 02:07 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Jesse welcome
Have fun with those great old lenses
Pete
12-18-2013, 02:17 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Welcome Jesse. Always good to take on a Nikonian who's seen the light.

Regards
12-18-2013, 10:56 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome!

12-18-2013, 12:14 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Transit Quote
Hi Jesse welcome
Have fun with those great old lenses
Pete
Thanks, I have and will continue to. So far it's only the M 50mm f/2 kit lens from the K1000, and a REALLY nice Super Takumar 135mm 2.5. One of the most "premium" looking/feeling/performing lens I've ever owned.

QuoteOriginally posted by sam-joseph Quote
Welcome Jesse. Always good to take on a Nikonian who's seen the light.

Regards
Thanks. One of the big reasons for the switch is actually the lack of seeing the light. I'm a caver, and the thought of taking a non sealed camera into a dangerous, wet and muddy environment always made me uncomfortable. I don't think a K-3 will have any trouble handling such an environment.

QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
Welcome!
Thanks
12-18-2013, 12:20 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

We used to do a fair amount of caving, I grew up in Cincinnati so we went to the Kentucky caves. Very fun. I'd have a harder time squeezing through the caverns now....
12-18-2013, 01:19 PM   #7

Original Poster
We used to do a fair amount of caving, I grew up in Cincinnati so we went to the Kentucky caves. Very fun. I'd have a harder time squeezing through the caverns now....
It's a lot of fun. I'm fortunate enough to live right where all of the action is, in the TAG area. Hundreds or thousands of noteworthy caves and pits to explore, all within 2 hours drive of home. One of the densest karst areas in the world. I hope once I get the gear I'll be going more often and getting more images.

12-18-2013, 01:47 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A Joby Gorillapod might be worth packing, or a simple beanbag so you can get longer exposures or use the remote for selfies. Oh, the fun with lighting you'll have. mini colored LEDs could be fun.
12-18-2013, 02:10 PM   #9

Original Poster
A Joby Gorillapod might be worth packing, or a simple beanbag so you can get longer exposures or use the remote for selfies. Oh, the fun with lighting you'll have. mini colored LEDs could be fun.
Yeah I had thought about a Gorillapod, but already bought a Slik mini tripod that packs down small and holds a lot of weight for its size. I may still get a Gorillapod too though. Lighting is definitely something I need to start working on. I need to find a few more cheap, used flashes, something I won't be too upset over when they fall into a mud puddle or water. I need to just get in there and play around with lights and see what works. Only way to learn.
12-18-2013, 02:32 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

LED flashlights and some means to diffuse the light would be my choice. Even plastic shopping bags might diffuse the light well enough. That way you can meter on the ambient light they provide. Of course, in a big chamber this might not be adequate, but they can be used as spots.
12-18-2013, 03:04 PM   #11
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Welcome to the forum, I had a shot of the Nikon D4 recently, it's one to keep an eye on.
12-18-2013, 03:06 PM   #12

Original Poster
I would imagine even one small, well diffused light would be enough for even larger chambers, given a long enough exposure. All of my experience with photography in caves have been in open pits, with more than enough light. From what I've heard and read from some more well known cave photographers, all you really need is 2 or 3 speedlights for most situations. Constant lighting would be useful though. I have plenty of lights suitable for that. A nice waterproof 300 lumen light that would diffuse into some pretty nice light, as well as two high output headlamps and another 2 small led flashlights with decent output. Never go into a cave with less than a few lights.

12-18-2013, 03:09 PM   #13

Original Poster
Bah, I hate sharing with Flickr. I always somehow mess it up. Not enough posts to edit.
12-18-2013, 03:10 PM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
Welcome to the forum, I had a shot of the Nikon D4 recently, it's one to keep an eye on.
Thanks. D4 = $$$

12-18-2013, 03:16 PM   #15
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentakumar50 Quote
D4 = $$$
Aye it does, your right, but still a mighty impressive piece of kit.