Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-18-2013, 07:39 AM   #1

Greeting and Salutations

Good day to you all.

My name is Robert and I am a photoholic.

I recently switched to the Pentax brand after shooting with Olympus Micro Four Thirds gear for the past couple of years. I have been an avid photographer since 1988 after purchasing an Olympus OM10. I have owned Nikons and Canons and my recent purchase of a Pentax MX-1 was my first introduction to the world of Pentax.

The MX-1 has blown me away and the retro design was one of the many features that pushed me in the direction of the MX-1. The IQ is amazing even in low light.

I have been mostly happy with the M4/3 system, but I have been wanting to go back to an SLR body since that was my first love after buying the OM10. A good friend of mine that also shoots with Olympus M4/3 cameras used to own a Pentax K-5 and was always saying how much he liked it.

So, after doing much research and looking at Nikon, Canon and Sony I decided on a K-50 since it offers one thing all of the others in this price range don't offer - full weather sealing. My K-50 is scheduled to be delivered today and I can't wait to get my hands on it. I bought a two lens kit from B&H for $649.00. It has the DA 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AL WR and DA 50-200mm f/4-5.6 ED WR lenses. I will also be adding a SMC PENTAX- FA 50 mm 1.7 lens as soon as I finish selling my Olympus gear.

So, that's my brief introduction. I am looking forward to many years with my Pentax cameras.

12-18-2013, 08:59 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Looks like you're on the right path. The K-50's a good choice. Remember the marketplace here for used lenses and other gear.

I've been intrigued by the 4/3 format but decided to get a Pentax Q for the bantam weight camera, with an older Olympus rugged compact for other uses (it's pretty nice).
12-18-2013, 09:37 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
Looks like you're on the right path. The K-50's a good choice. Remember the marketplace here for used lenses and other gear.

I've been intrigued by the 4/3 format but decided to get a Pentax Q for the bantam weight camera, with an older Olympus rugged compact for other uses (it's pretty nice).
Thanks for your reply TER-OR

M4/3 is nice in that you get the compact size and good IQ, but it can be limiting. I like to be able to shoot with old manual glass and while you are able to do so with M4/3 using adaptors, it's not always ideal. Once you start adding large lenses to the small bodies, stability becomes an issue and IQ starts to go downhill. I have large hands, and having a good size grip will be nice and being able to use legacy Pentax K mount glass without the need for adaptors will be nice too.

I will definitely check out the marketplace before I buy the 50mm 1.7 lens, or any other lens for that matter.

I must admit to being intrigued by the Pentax Q7 which has the same sensor as the MX-1, but didn't want to go to another mirrorless system, especially one even smaller than my PEN cameras. The MX-1 is perfect for everyday use and K-50 will fit the bill for an interchangeable lens systems. Can't wait to get it.
12-18-2013, 09:52 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yeah, with your setup, you can skip the Q. Unless you want to give your older cameras as hand-me-downs to someone.
I wouldn't though, the PEN's a nice little system and the MX-1 is a good retro design with good functions. The only advantage, I think, for the Q system is interchangable lenses. I'm mostly using the 01 prime, though, it seems really nice and is just small enough for cargo pants pockets.

I've tried mounting the Q on some older tele lenses, and I really need to practice the focusing techniques on the Q....or just use my K5.

12-18-2013, 03:12 PM - 1 Like   #5
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by waterhouseclan Quote
My name is Robert and I am a photoholic
Welcome to the forum, that sounds like the opening line at an AA meeting, or so I've been led to believe goes on there.
12-18-2013, 05:47 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
Welcome to the forum, that sounds like the opening line at an AA meeting, or so I've been led to believe goes on there.
Thank you very much kerrowdown. I, also, have never attended such a meeting myself. 😇:-)
11-04-2014, 08:24 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Welcome, I am a fan as well as a fan of PENTAX and Olympus too
Olympus has many great lenses - I use to this day- in his enthusiasm for photography
11-06-2014, 07:06 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Good luck and good fun. Enjoy your new camera and let's see some pictures.