Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-19-2013, 01:19 PM   #1
Forum Member

A little excited

Hi all

Having come from a Pentax S3 with stunning Auto Takumar primes (still have), progressed to a Pentax SuperA, then onto a K10d ... have just bitten the bullet in spite of many slightly worrying posts .. and purchased a Pentax K3, DA* 60-250 f4 and Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4.

One little snippet that may be of interest. About 28 years ago, in Hong Kong I purchased a 75-200 Sigma lens. I paid about 180 at the time ... and was surprised just how heavy solid it was (big metal with felt flare shield and solid leather case). I got home and went to the London Camera show. A guy therefrom the Pentax stand looked at my SuperA with this lens on and almost appeared for fall over in shock. He asked where I got the lens from because it apparently wasn't due out in the UK yet. I explained. He told me it was a 2.8 - 3.5 Sigma Series 3 worth upwards of 6-700. Obviously I was rather chuffed because it's not common for a mistake in Hong Kong to turn in your favour. I never looked into much more, but it's so stunning that I continued to use on the K10d and may use on the K3 (it is Ka mount so works on auto ... and you get focus indication), although of course the DA* 60-250 may render it redundant. A little more background if someone knows how to uncover the mystery - It's a 67mm filter thread, Sigma Zoom - (delta symbol) III, 1:2.8-3.5 (max f22), f=7.5-200mm Multi-coated. Any thoughts you have ... let me know ... even if it isn't the hugely expensive marvel the camera show guy thought ...

It will be a few days before I get to have a real play ... after I lift myself off the ground because of the expense ... but quite excited.

Anyone with this setup, do drop your thoughts as to what I should expect ... and I guess given all the talk, things I should look at like focus tests I can run ... custom settings for NR / SR etc.

Purchased from SRS. Did a great deal on the trade in on my 5000 actuations mint K10d ... made it slightly easier. Also got a nice 10% on the DA* ... it's funny how you can convince yourself things are good value :-)

Paul.

12-19-2013, 02:06 PM   #2
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, enjoy the K-3 and be happy, it is by all the accounts I've heard a great piece of kit.
12-20-2013, 06:52 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome aboard.
I just sold my old K10 with split-focus screen. It was a pleasure to use in manual focus, but I just didn't use it enough. It really had the feel of an older manual camera, though. Maybe if I get a K3 I'll put a split screen in the K5.
I'm sure you'll have fun putting the K3 through its paces.
12-20-2013, 11:40 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Day one

Chuffed so far.

Interestingly, although it is still beautifully built, it isn't as industrial as the K10d. Flaps are thinner and there is only one with a lock (the battery).

Both lenses are something else ... Never seen as much detail from a camera before ... particularly from someone with as little experience as me.

Just playing with the 3 user modes to save what I hope will be common settings.

Paul.

02-08-2014, 01:19 PM   #5
Forum Member

k-3 is a nice piece of kit

Congrats on your new camera, I've also bought a k-3 (stepping up from a gx10/k10d. Much of the buttons are still the same, but be aware of the focus-select button ( page 8, number 24, in the user manual ), it's easy to touch and the result is the the four-way function buttons don't behave as expected. There's an easy fix - press the focus-select button once more - and everything works as expected.
Enjoy your camera!