Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-19-2013, 06:18 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Hi everyone

Hey everyone,

I'm Aimee ,

i brought my first DLS camera as a birthday gift to myself a few months ago it was a toss up between a cannon 60D and a Pentax K30... and i decided on the K30! I'm completely new to photography, no idea what im doing, no idea how to use the camera, no idea about anything so hopefully i can get pointers and tips from the forum which will help me to improve my photography skills.

but for now, hope everyone is enjoying their day!

12-19-2013, 06:21 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Yep totally aware i said DLS and not SLR.... as i said completely new hahah
12-19-2013, 07:32 PM   #3
Forum Member

Welcome to the forum. There are a lot of folks around here that can help you out with any questions.
12-20-2013, 01:03 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Good day mate and welcome to the forum

12-20-2013, 01:04 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks guys

12-20-2013, 12:44 PM - 1 Like   #6
Moderator PEG Judges
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by alouise Quote
Yep totally aware i said DLS and not SLR....
Welcome to the forum, just to add further confusion perhaps it should read DSLR.

Just take it easy and enjoy it all as you go along, the learning bit is fun too.
12-21-2013, 10:29 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Belated happy birthday greetings and a warm welcome to the forum.

Don't hesitate to ask lots of questions, you'll typically find that many will be willing to share their knowledge.

The K-30 is a great camera and I'm sure you'll love it after getting to know it better. Take your time getting away from the auto modes, but I recommend to start using "Av" mode as soon as possible. This will allow you to control the depth of field (DOF), i.e., the range of things that are rendered sharp in your images. Add "Auto ISO" and you can leave the rest to the camera while exerting artistic control. You'll have to sometimes use exposure compensation as well, but that's a very intuitive process. Just go negative if images appear too bright on the back LCD and positive, if they appear too dark. Make sure to "turn on the blinkies", i.e., let the camera warn you if you overexposed highlights. You cannot recover these later on (but you can recover a lot of shadow detail later on, in particular if you shoot RAW).

Initially I was hesitant to do a lot of post-processing, but soon couldn't imagine living without Picasa (free) anymore. Meanwhile I progressed to using Lightroom (and shooting RAW).

There is a great long road full of enjoyment ahead of you. Take your time wandering along it.
12-21-2013, 10:40 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thank you class A, everyone has been so helpful so far

12-21-2013, 11:27 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Belated happy birthday greetings and a warm welcome to the forum.

Don't hesitate to ask lots of questions, you'll typically find that many will be willing to share their knowledge.

Initially I was hesitant to do a lot of post-processing, but soon couldn't imagine living without Picasa (free) anymore. Meanwhile I progressed to using Lightroom (and shooting RAW).

There is a great long road full of enjoyment ahead of you. Take your time wandering along it.
I just dl picasa and playing around with it, thanks for the suggestion I love it looks like a good program

12-23-2013, 01:40 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Welcome from Iowa!! Bet it's warmer there than here!! You lucky duck!! All I got to add is enjoy it! Who cares if your shots are not perfect, just practice, learn and have fun!!! If you don't enjoy photography then what's the point!! Unless you're a celebrity photographer rolling in merry barrels of cash!!
Peace,
Joel
12-23-2013, 04:47 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Hey joel

Yes, so very warm :P just the other day it was 40 degrees (104 f) ... and thank you for your kind words yeah im just taking my time taking heaps of happy snaps!