Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-20-2013, 05:17 AM   #1

Hello from an old Pentaxian

I'm new to this forum, but I have been an on again, off again hobby photographer for the last 35 years with Pentax occupying a pretty central position.

As a child already, my idea of what a SLR should look like was formed by my dad's Spotmatic, my very first own camera was a used K1000 followed by the first SLR I bought in 1980: a Canon AE1 Program. Ooops. But in those days, a young man who could not afford a Nikon was almost irresistably drawn to the promise of a "microprocessor controlled" camera

That's pretty much where it stayed for the next 25 years until the AE-1 succumbed to Canon asthma in 2005 (the K1000 still works swell by the way). It was then that I decided to go digital. Off to a reputable camera store in Hamburg I came out with an Olympus E-500 and two kit lenses.
Yep, not knowing any better I was a sucker for the "Designed for Digital" Spiel that the salesman gave me. And it was a good camera that kept me busy learning for the next year or two. I mean all of a sudden there was autofocus, there were matrix, center weighted and spot metering modes, there were drive modes, there was variable sensitivity, there were raw files to develop and there no longer was an aperture ring on the lens! Boy, where had I been living all those years.

A pretty steep learning curve at the time but it was loads of fun and really reignited my love for photography. Three years later it came to me as it comes to all: upgrade or switch. My only real gripe with the Olympus was the very small viewfinder and so I found the Pentax K20d. Brilliant camera with the best OVF in its class, plus the K mount for my old lenses.

Yet something still wasn't right. My old film cameras and lenses had a size I liked and a view finders far better than anything found on modern DSLR's. I particularly missed the bright micro prism / split image finder of days gone by. I solved the "size problem" by selling all the zoom lenses for the Penax and switching to m43 for zooms. First the Pen, then OM-D augmentet by the Q10 when I want it really small. Now I only use my k20d with my primes in manual focus mode, put in a Katz Eye with split screen/micro prism and am (mostly) a happy camper with my gear.

Oh, my photographic interests? Mostly nature/landscape both wide angle and close up, some architecture, a little macro work now and again, anything and everything when I'm on vacation and people only if I know and care about them. Plus the occasional odd shot of my dog ;-)

Sorry if this turned out to be a longer, more rambling introduction than I had anticipated. Oh well, glad to be here!

12-20-2013, 08:18 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Welcome home, sir.
Your story is similar to mine, except I predate you by about a decade. I only joined here about a year ago and have found it to be a very friendly and very informative place. I'm sure you will too.
The season's best.
John
12-20-2013, 09:44 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jford Quote
Welcome home, sir.
Your story is similar to mine, except I predate you by about a decade. I only joined here about a year ago and have found it to be a very friendly and very informative place. I'm sure you will too.
The season's best.
John
Thank you John and yes the generally civil and friendly tone here has a lot to with why I joined.
12-20-2013, 12:51 PM   #4
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by eyeswideshut Quote
Now I only use my k20d with my primes in manual focus mode, put in a Katz Eye with split screen/micro prism and am (mostly) a happy camper
Welcome to the forum, you sound like a person after my own heart, much the same MO as myself.