Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-22-2013, 07:55 PM   #1

Happy to be here...

Growing up, I used to dream about owning a Pentax after drooling on Pentax advertisements in the National Geographic! Bought my first SLR back in the late eighties and it happened to be the SF7 (in Europe), because that was all I could afford. I still have the original lens that I got with it - the 28-80 Macro zoom lens with which I have managed to take quite a few wonderful pics. When digital cameras came I switched to basic point and shoots of other brands, but when K5 was introduced, I felt I was ready to take the plunge and got it a couple of years ago. Got the Pentax 35mm f/2.4 prime which DxO thought was the only lens you needed on the K5! Was amazed at what you could do at 6400 ISO! I bought the 60-250 f/4 recently, but the SDM hung up on me a couple of times within the first ten days!

Although I got some great pics and it felt good to not hear the screw drive, I had to return it. I am looking for a good prime zoom going to 300 mm that I can use to click a variety of pics with. Suggestions are welcome. Looking for a big bang for the buck. Love to photograph the outdoors, macro subjects, birds and other wild life. Wish I could spend more time in photography which is challenging given that I am a family man. Ideas on that front are also welcome!

Pic below of Cedar Waxwing using K5 and Tamron 18-200 at f/8.

Wish you all happy holidays...!

Vinny

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
12-22-2013, 08:18 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum Vinny, good to have you on board.
12-23-2013, 09:52 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Welcome from Iowa! Too bad about the crapped sdm! Not sure I can help with lens choice, my favorite is a Sears kr 60-300 zoom. Big, heavy, cheap and built like a tank but manual focus. My other good lens is a smc-f 100-300. strange looking but very capable! As for working around kids, make them your test subjects. It will be fun (for you maybe) and it will give you practice on challenging subjects!! Actually I have lots of fun with the little ones at the park!
Peace,
Joel
12-24-2013, 01:34 AM   #4
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by vinny19 Quote
after drooling on Pentax advertisements in the National Geographic
Welcome to the forum, I just drool over the images in Nat Geo not the adverts.