Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-22-2013, 10:13 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
From Utah with new K-500

We decided to get a new camera, so we got a K-500 with 2 lenses. This may have been mistake. The 50-200mm seems a little soft. But we're not done testing it yet, we'll get back to you on that one. The kit 18-55mm is okay. A little background, very little. We sold a Micro 4/3's Panasonic with 2 lenses because it just didn't have a sensitive enough sensor to take star shots at night. It would just barely capture a few stars. Before this we came from a system of quite a few different Canon Eos cameras and L lenses that spoiled us. Not needing to carry all that weight around we went with the micro 4/3's. Now here we are with the Pentax. Partially because of a limited budget and I think it will do what I need for our web site which is small images with enlargements. Here's an example A comprehensive list of the venomous snakes found in the desert

The bigger telephoto concerns me, and in the future may have to be replaced. I was thinking of the Tamron 28-300mm. We often need a longer reach. But if anyone here uses one, please show us examples of what to expect at the long end.

Thanks, and hopefully we'll be able to get more info here from the forum members. The review on the camera was very helpful, thanks Adam!

Don...

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-500  Photo 
12-22-2013, 11:05 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forums & congrats on the K500. I have the DAL 50-200 and am pretty happy with it. It seems sharp with good colors & contrast. If you read the reviews for this lens here on PF, you'll see quite a mix of opinions. Seems like there might be a bit of sample variation. If you need 300mm, the DA55-300 is miles ahead of a Tamron 28-300, which can be quite soft at the long end. Hope this helps!
12-23-2013, 12:41 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Great to see more members here in Utah! There are a lot of telephoto options if you are willing to go with one of the "legacy lenses" bought used. Start cruising ebay to see what people put up there just to get an idea of what is available.
12-23-2013, 09:42 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Welcome from Iowa! I think you will grow to love that camera! If I'm wrong, you can send it to me as my punishment!! The best part in my book is you can find classic manual primes at bargain prices that will give you amazing results!!! The down side is when you get bit by LBA it will never go away!!!
Peace,
Joel

12-23-2013, 10:57 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks guys I've been looking at lenses on E-bay, old ones, manual ones. It wouldn't matter as I manually focus star and moon shots anyway. But it's going to have to wait a while. I'll post later about my experience with night shots of the moon, maybe I can get some help there.
Joel, I don't know what you mean by a book?
Paul, a lot of lenses have variations, Canon was good that, but on average their lenses were great.
Littledrawe, What part of Utah? We're near Cedar City in the southwest.

Last edited by Tom S.; 12-23-2013 at 11:03 AM. Reason: Personal link removed
12-23-2013, 12:46 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DesertCruiser Quote
Joel, I don't know what you mean by a book?
Sorry local Joel slang for like.
12-23-2013, 03:30 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Hey DC welcome on board. I am K-500 owner since August and so far I have been satisfied with how the camera functions. I have had no complaints so far. And my cam has been a real trooper. Enjoy and many happy captures!
12-23-2013, 04:26 PM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks Canmannac, so far so good. A few little things to work around, and get a better tele lens.

Don....

12-23-2013, 10:07 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Littledrawe, What part of Utah? We're near Cedar City in the southwest.
I'm up in the Provo/Orem area, I go to St George all the time, as that is where the in-laws reside.
12-23-2013, 10:44 PM   #10

Original Poster
Littledrawe: We're lucky to have this nice scenery, but I wish there were more snakes and lizards.

Don...
12-24-2013, 12:07 AM   #11
Pentaxian

but I wish there were more snakes and lizards.
It won't be too much longer before they come back out of hiding, I've seen a pair of golden eagles down there and some bald eagles in the winter.
12-24-2013, 01:55 AM   #12
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, which ever lens you choose to end up with, just make sure it's long enough to keep a good distance between you and them snakes.