Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-27-2013, 02:12 PM   #1

New K30 (and a little dust?)

Hi folks - I'm a new K-30 user. Bought the camera and 18-55mm lens in October. Just got the 50mm F1.8 for Xmas. Taking an "intro to photography class" and learning all sorts of stuff. Found a spec of dust on my pix during my "shoot the egg" lesson in class. It's still there using the new lens, so am assuming it's on the sensor. After class is finished (mid-Jan) I'll send it in for a warranty cleaning, which scares the heck out of me. But enjoying the camera so far.

12-27-2013, 03:24 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, please enjoy your stay with us.
12-28-2013, 05:09 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by slronald Quote
Hi folks - I'm a new K-30 user. Bought the camera and 18-55mm lens in October. Just got the 50mm F1.8 for Xmas. Taking an "intro to photography class" and learning all sorts of stuff. Found a spec of dust on my pix during my "shoot the egg" lesson in class. It's still there using the new lens, so am assuming it's on the sensor. After class is finished (mid-Jan) I'll send it in for a warranty cleaning, which scares the heck out of me. But enjoying the camera so far.
If you do not know what you are doing, attempting to clean your camera's sensor yourself would be far scarier than sending it out to get professionally cleaned.
12-28-2013, 05:27 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Dust Buster?

Hello slronald, welcome to the forum!
Cleaning a sensor isn't really hard, it's routine maintenance. DSLR's are dust magnets and changing lenses is the usual (and unavoidable) problem.
Before sending the lens in, I'd suggest purchasing a 'Rocket Blower' and giving the sensor a few good blasts. You probably will save yourself a trip to the post office and a long wait to get your camera back.
Post # 3 here is the usual 4-step process for normal sensor cleaning, usually # 1 and 2 are all that's needed. A professional clean is a last resort, not the first option. Take good care of your gear, be careful when changing lenses and you may never have to send it anywhere!
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/120-general-technical-troubleshooting/246...ts-sensor.html
JMO,
Ron

12-28-2013, 09:22 PM   #5

Original Poster
Ron - Thanks for the idea - I might try the rocket blower. I tried the camera's "give it a good shake" sensor cleaning method and that did nothing.
12-29-2013, 01:28 PM   #6
Moderator PEG Judges

QuoteOriginally posted by rbefly Quote
I'd suggest purchasing a 'Rocket Blower'
Welcome and +1 on this suggestion, it's surprising what a good job it can do at times.
01-14-2014, 09:07 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rbefly Quote
Hello slronald, welcome to the forum!
Cleaning a sensor isn't really hard, it's routine maintenance. DSLR's are dust magnets and changing lenses is the usual (and unavoidable) problem.
Before sending the lens in, I'd suggest purchasing a 'Rocket Blower' and giving the sensor a few good blasts. You probably will save yourself a trip to the post office and a long wait to get your camera back.
Post # 3 here is the usual 4-step process for normal sensor cleaning, usually # 1 and 2 are all that's needed. A professional clean is a last resort, not the first option. Take good care of your gear, be careful when changing lenses and you may never have to send it anywhere!
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/120-general-technical-troubleshooting/246...ts-sensor.html
JMO,
Ron
I got myself a rocket blower, drove away my fears, and sure enough that big ugly spot of dust is GONE! Thanks for the suggestion - it feels like a new camera again.
01-15-2014, 04:03 PM   #8
Moderator PEG Judges

feels like a new camera again
A good result then.

01-15-2014, 04:08 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm glad it turned out well! As I became a prime lens devotee, I realized that my sensor bore the brunt of my need to change lenses often. Now I never leave home with my rocket blower!
01-15-2014, 04:12 PM   #10
Moderator PEG Judges

QuoteOriginally posted by K McCall Quote
As I became a prime lens devotee
The good news on this... is that your not alone.