Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-28-2013, 03:29 PM   #1

Hello world! From Almada, Portugal.

Hi Gents,

My name is Saulo, a 26 years old economics guy that lives in Portugal. I've decided to join this forum even though I do not own any pentax gear. So, why did I join you? Because I was googling for vintage prime lenses, and Super Takumars came across. And then I really, really liked the spirit of this community.

As a matter of fact, I am fairly new to photography. I bought my first DSLR 6 months ago, a Nikon d3100 body and a 35mm 1.8. I have been, however, a Photoshop/GIMP user for almost a decade.

I am planning to exchange my d3100 for a higher-end model, and have put into the equation the possibility of a brand changing, as I do not own any other lens but the 35mm. Canon is not even a possibility, as I prefer simpler menus. I am looking to the d7000 equivalent, the K-5 (am I right?).

I do know a couple of things about the Pentax's History in the photographic/filming world. In fact, when I bought the d3100 I even considered the Pentax alternative, but the easier way to find Nikon lenses has driven my head to Nikon (I bought it from an UK used gear dealer that unfortunately do not sell Pentax gear.

So, I would be delighted if you could tell me why should I go for Pentax over Nikon and where can I find second hand Pentax Gear preferably in Europe, due to customs. My plan is to upgrade my body, get a 50 (or equivalent) mm prime lens, and then a 70/80-200 2.8 (or equivalent).

Well, I should say that the fact that every Pentax has a vibration reduction system on it is really tempting me.

Cheers from Portugal, and a Happy New Year!

12-29-2013, 01:37 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum and thank you for that interesting introduction.
12-29-2013, 01:32 PM   #3
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, it can be difficult to get Pentax at times in the high street at times, but the wait is often well worth it.
12-29-2013, 05:49 PM   #4
Moz

Original Poster
Which Pentax is the main alternative to the Nikon d7000? The Pentax K-5, right?

Is there any reliable source in EU for second-hande Pentax gear aside from the not-so-reliable Ebay?

Which prime lens do you recommend? Is there any good Pentax(-fit) alternative to the 80-200 2.8 from Nikon?

I must say that I am really enjoying this community. Thank you!

12-29-2013, 11:16 PM   #5

Decisions decisions,

Hi Moz,

Welcome to the forum!
In regard to which brand, Nikon,Canon,Sony or Pentax.....take your pick, they are all great.
It's like arguing which is better,Merc,BMW or Audi......all great!

You need to borrow some friends cameras,hold them,play with them and take some shots.

When I finally went digital (after being fiercely a film man) I seriously considered Nikon,as I have both Nikon and Pentax SLR's.

I chose Pentax because of four main reasons:

1: The K10D was considerably bigger than the equivelent Nikon / Canon at the same price point ant felt great to hold.
2: It was weather sealed with a proper metal, not plastic frame.
3: Shake reduction.....my wife shakes like a leaf,
4: I love the old manual Pentax and Takumar lenses,and with Pentax you can use every lens they ever made. Go into a second hand shop and look at an old Takumar lens.The barrel rotates like silk,it is all metal,and the glass is real ground glass. AND they take incredible photos.....and you can pick them up for a fraction of the cost of a new plastic lens made in China!

Have fun and eat some Cabritu for me!
12-30-2013, 03:12 AM   #6
Moz

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Asama Quote
Hi Moz,

Welcome to the forum!
In regard to which brand, Nikon,Canon,Sony or Pentax.....take your pick, they are all great.
It's like arguing which is better,Merc,BMW or Audi......all great!

You need to borrow some friends cameras,hold them,play with them and take some shots.

When I finally went digital (after being fiercely a film man) I seriously considered Nikon,as I have both Nikon and Pentax SLR's.

I chose Pentax because of four main reasons:

1: The K10D was considerably bigger than the equivelent Nikon / Canon at the same price point ant felt great to hold.
2: It was weather sealed with a proper metal, not plastic frame.
3: Shake reduction.....my wife shakes like a leaf,
4: I love the old manual Pentax and Takumar lenses,and with Pentax you can use every lens they ever made. Go into a second hand shop and look at an old Takumar lens.The barrel rotates like silk,it is all metal,and the glass is real ground glass. AND they take incredible photos.....and you can pick them up for a fraction of the cost of a new plastic lens made in China!

Have fun and eat some Cabritu for me!
Thanks. I must admit that I have fallen in love with those primes (either Pentax or Takumar). Beside the fact thar I do own only a 35mm prime, I do will most of the time shoot with one (prime, 35mm or 50). The telephoto is just for far away things, and the capability of shooting in low light situations. I love those dim light conditions!

So, the natural way to go is definitely for a prime. However, despite my efforts for shoot somtimes manually, I tend to take a shot auto. And by auto I do not mean in auto mode on my D3100. I shoot almost fully on manual (by setting the aperture, shutter speed and ISO). I do not know (yet) how to take a shot with a fully manual lens. The tiny D3100 viewfinder does not allow me to see clearly for a manual-focused shot.

Well... Takumars: Lovely shots, but not for a healthy hobby, I presume. Radioactive? Seriously? All of them?

Talking about Cabrito at this time of the day (it's 10 A.M. In Portugal)? It's official, now I am starving.
12-30-2013, 02:53 PM   #7

My brother lives in Mia, Porto, so I have visited a number of times.
South Africa is famous for it's Karoo lamb chops (the Karoo is semi arid desert,so the meat has an intense flavour), but let me tell you,your Cabrito is mind blowing,especially in the mountains up north.

01-03-2014, 05:29 PM   #8
Moz

Original Poster
I am proud to announce the acquisition of my very first Pentax gear: a 1.7 50mm prime lens (M version).

However, I have a question: Is this a radioactive lens like the Super Takumars?