Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-30-2013, 04:04 PM   #1

I've been clicking the shutter for 40 years and am still learning . Started out with Konica, then Minolta. Went to Nikon 20 years ago and just switched to Pentax because Nikon service was not great. Was a costly switch for me because of my large collection of Nikon equipment. I'm now a K3 user and so for so good. Live in Western North Carolina.

12-30-2013, 04:23 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to Pentax and to Pentax forums!
12-30-2013, 05:11 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pasquenal Quote
I've been clicking the shutter for 40 years and am still learning . Started out with Konica, then Minolta. Went to Nikon 20 years ago and just switched to Pentax because Nikon service was not great. Was a costly switch for me because of my large collection of Nikon equipment. I'm now a K3 user and so for so good. Live in Western North Carolina.
Welcome to you. Look forward to seeing some of your photos here.
12-31-2013, 11:37 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Welcome aboard

01-01-2014, 12:51 PM   #5
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, I switched out of Nikon for personal use too, about thirty odd years ago due to sand, don't worry it's a longish story.
01-01-2014, 12:57 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Switching because of sand - now that 's a longish story we need to hear.
01-01-2014, 01:59 PM   #7
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Michael Piziak Quote
Switching because of sand - now that 's a longish story we need to hear
It's not that exciting, honest...

I spent a few years posted in Saudi Arabia a lifetime ago, Nikon F3's were the cutting edge then and were dust sealed etc etc, well the seals may work for dust, but obliviously not so hot for sand.

Remember once sand gets in the film gate you end up the scratches on the film, no such thing as Photoshop then, it was many hours with a touch up brush and "paints" directly on the final print.

I was also having to have the cameras professional cleaned every couple weeks, whenever we got back into the bigger cities. At one such cleaning it was suggested I might like to try a Pentax LX, to see if they faired any better under similar conditions. Yes you've guessed it, they were great cameras to use and I found only really needed cleaning every six months or so.
01-01-2014, 02:06 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Thanks for sharing your story. Very interesting. The Nikons, if dust sealed, certainly should not have let in sand.
Glad the Pentax lived up to it's seal for you.