Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-01-2014, 08:08 PM   #1

Introduction

I signed up a couple months ago and am now doing the introduction.
We reside in Minnesota, USA. Strictly an amateur!
We formerly used Minolta for film and first digital camera, a 3meg point and shoot. When upping the game to dslr I couldn't stay Minolta as Sony got involved. So i bought a K100D and 2 kit lenses through BHPHOTO. I like this camera.
After some years now I am getting more interested in taking quality photos. I have read a lot of reviews and the best tend to come from this forum. Thanks to everyone who freely gives their opinions! It is very helpful when trying to understand photography and the equipment.
Now my quest is to upgrade the camera body and possible get the 18-135mm lens. Shutter noise of the K100D is an issue and the reason to get a new body. I take pictures of wildlife and the noise scares away my subjects
I am leaning towards a K-5 ii but am struggling with the price. The future will tell ...

01-02-2014, 01:08 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Welcome aboard, and thanks for the intro!

The K-5ii is perfect for wildlife, nice and quiet. You could also consider a K-5, even though the AF isn't quite as good - it will still be a different world from the K100D. And I'm also very happy with the 18-135 - a nice upgrade from the 18-55 (and mine is better at 135 than my 50-200 is, really).

Anyway, keep an eye at the Marketplace. I see no point in buying new unless you find some real bargain somewhere.
01-02-2014, 05:38 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thank you!

Thank you Savoche,

I will indeed look for a nice used unit as you suggest. And as to the 18-135mm, that is good to know. Than I can sell the 2 kit lenses with the K100D.

Cheers,
Kirk
01-02-2014, 09:42 AM   #4
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kirkmahr Quote
I am leaning towards a K-5 ii but am struggling with the price
Welcome to the forum, it sounds like your looking for a justification to "get out of jail card" free thing, but we're all here to help further your photography, by spending a small or large fortune on your equipment.

01-02-2014, 03:05 PM   #5

Original Poster
Got over it and ordered a new K-3

I saw a good deal on Amazon, via Emmy Photo, for the K-3 and 18-135 WR lens. So I push the Add to cart button.
I found a posting on this forum where others had good success with Emmy so I feel comfortable.
Now we are excited!!

Last edited by kirkmahr; 01-03-2014 at 04:12 PM.
01-03-2014, 10:13 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Wow, congratulations! The 24 mp sensor of the K3 will give you quite a lot of room to crop your pictures as well.

Enjoy!
01-11-2014, 08:17 AM   #7

Original Poster
I received the K-3 & the lens a few days ago. Just a review on the seller Emmy Photo, arrived when stated (came out of Canada!) and was packaged well. It came in the actual kit box. I liked it better before when the lens had it's own box.
As far as this camera. Wow. WOW! The difference between this and the K100D is going from a poorly lit night to a sunny day. And that is how it seems to operate. I can take pictures in Green mode that I struggled with or just couldn't do with the K100D in Aperture mode. Don't get this wrong, I like the K100D. Technology moves on. This thing feels like it is built like an armored tank, very solid and substantial feel. The grip fits me well, I am 5'9" with average to a little larger hands. I have no plans to buy a grip as I do not want the extra bulk.
I am an amateur so me explaining the quality of images wouldn't be fair. But they sure look nice I'd insert a smily face but I don't see the emoticons ?
Cheers,
Kirk
01-11-2014, 09:05 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Hi Kirk,

Wow, that was quite a jump! Thanks for the report on Emmy and your early comparison to the K100D. They're both terrific cameras; the K-3 brings the Pentax line to a new level.

I have a K-5 II and my family (immediate and extended) really enjoyed my pictures taken over Christmas. Sure helps to justify the cost of the gear!

So, welcome to PF and hope you get a chance to post some of your images. Of course, please don't hesitate to ask questions - we're all learning!

- Craig