Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-02-2014, 01:39 PM   #1

Hi! - New to photography – help appreciated

Hi everyone,
Happy to find this forum. I am from NY. My profession has nothing to do with photography but I always wanted to learn an art of picture taking. After a lot of research I finally got my first DSLR and so far enjoying my choice. To be honest I am a bit overwhelmed with all the different options and don't know where to start. I want to learn how to shoot on manual settings and get the best out of my wonderful camera. Can you please point me to some tutorials or topics for dummies like me? Greatly appreciate your help.

01-02-2014, 02:03 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
the B&H channel on youtube has a TON of good videos. most are like mini training sessions.
01-02-2014, 02:20 PM   #3
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome aboard, also remember to enjoy your photography too, learning is part of the fun bit.
01-02-2014, 02:26 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome! I'm from NYC, too, and just started learning about photography last year (2013).

I can strongly recommend a great photography school in New York City. It's called PhotoUno (photography classes nyc | photography courses nyc | photography school nyc | PhotoUno). Mr frogoutofwater and I took their Level 1 and Level 2 courses this year, and we learned a lot and had a lot of fun, too. As someone who has designed and/or taught a lot of adult education programs, I can say that PhotoUno's beginning photography courses are the best teaching I have ever experienced. Their courses are also pretty flexible - they typically have a new Level 1 session starting every week or two (and the classes are offered on different weeknights plus Saturday - once a week class but different dates available), and if you have to miss a class, you can attend another class in a different series to make up the missed lesson. And they have an Exhibition at the end of the course, when you get to display your work and invite friends and family to a little wine and cheese party

Of course, it is possible to learn without taking a live class - as others will mention, there are lots of materials online, some great books, and lots of help from this forum. But if you are interested in taking a live class (either because that's the way you learn best or because you're interested in the social/interactive element), PhotoUno is great.

Last edited by frogoutofwater; 01-02-2014 at 04:11 PM.
01-02-2014, 03:59 PM   #5

Photos: Albums
Read Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson, it's a great starting point.