Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-02-2014, 11:12 PM   #1

Hello

Hi Everyone,
Just purchased the Pentax K-3 DSLR. Along with the 50-135 D* lens and the 12-24 lens.
I live in Daytona Beach Shores, Fl. I am currently looking for camera studio that teaches newcomers on using this camera.
I do not understand why Pentax does not offer these classes like the Canon and Nikon does. If Pentax does offer these classes it is not in my area.
Hope you have a great New Year!

Attached Images

01-03-2014, 12:04 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Welcome aboard! You got yourself some really, really good my there. The worst thing with that is that you can't blame the equipment of you get bad results

I've never heard of Pentax doing classes. Could be they do on your side of the Atlantic, but I would be surprised.

QuoteOriginally posted by Karen Cook Quote
Hope you have a great New Year!
Thanks, you too!
01-03-2014, 06:42 AM   #3

Hi Karen

Karen,

I, also as a new comer to the forum, welcome you.
The Pentax training is a good idea. I ordered a K-3 & 18-135mm lens yesterday and have been wondering how I will learn even a small amount of what the camera is capable of. Stepping up from the K100D, the K100D manual I read from front to back, twice, leaves a lot to be desired for a novice like me. I need to learn more about photography in general.
I hope you find a good resource for learning that new camera!

Cheers,
Kirk
01-03-2014, 07:15 AM   #4

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the Pentax Forums! I hope you enjoy those wonderful lenses you purchased with your K-3.

I've also seen classes for Canon and Nikon in my area but not for Pentax. However, until recently there wasn't a B&M store that actually carried a Pentax DSLR.

Just before Christmas, there was an expanded electronic manual for the K-3 produced by someone (not affiliated with Ricoh) available for purchase and download that explains further about the features of the K-3. According to the website, it will also be updated in January:

Pentax K-3 e-book

01-03-2014, 07:16 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Btw, there are online courses and resources as well. Have a look at this thread for some good tips.
01-03-2014, 09:43 AM   #6

Original Poster
Hi Savoche,
I agree, concerning if I do not take good pictures it is not the camera or lens fault.
It is a learning curve for me. In regards to taking courses on line, I am the type of person that I need hands on or I will drift away.
I did find a place in Orlando that offers a weekly class for a month, I will begin the next class in February. However, I will investigate the online class you referred me to.
Thank you so much.
01-03-2014, 09:48 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by civano Quote
Welcome to the Pentax Forums! I hope you enjoy those wonderful lenses you purchased with your K-3.

I've also seen classes for Canon and Nikon in my area but not for Pentax. However, until recently there wasn't a B&M store that actually carried a Pentax DSLR.

Just before Christmas, there was an expanded electronic manual for the K-3 produced by someone (not affiliated with Ricoh) available for purchase and download that explains further about the features of the K-3. According to the website, it will also be updated in January:

Pentax K-3 e-book
Hi Kim,
Thanks so much for this information concerning the Pentax K-3 Book.
I also found a place in Orlando that has a weekly class for a month, I plan on taking the class In February.
By the way, where do you live in Michigan? I moved to Daytona Beach Shores from Michigan.
01-03-2014, 10:02 AM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by Karen Cook Quote
Hi Kim,
Thanks so much for this information concerning the Pentax K-3 Book.
I also found a place in Orlando that has a weekly class for a month, I plan on taking the class In February.
By the way, where do you live in Michigan? I moved to Daytona Beach Shores from Michigan.
I live in Rockford, just outside of Grand Rapids. I moved here from Tucson, Arizona which I miss especially in this terrible cold weather we've been having.

01-03-2014, 10:19 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Karen,

That's a great kit you have. The K-3, like other Pentax cameras, is quite intuitive and the 'user interface' is relatively easy to work with.

You probably already have gathered that there is a wealth of information right here on Pentax Forums, and several sections designed for folks who are just starting with a Pentax system or photography in general. Not quite the same as a hands-on classroom setting, but spending a bit of time reading through selected threads is bound to provide insights. (In case you didn't realize, several active threads are very much 'tongue in cheek' - or tongue-in-cheese - and are intended as a bit of humour.)

Anyways, welcome to PF and enjoy your new gear.

- Craig
01-03-2014, 12:06 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Another thought is to take a Nikon course. Most of the controls turn the same way; only the lens mount is reversed. The trick is to take an interactive course. The instructor teaches you something, you go and try to do that, and he/she critiques your results so you learn faster.

I teach courses here in the great white North (it's getting a lot whiter as I type this, and I just finished snow blowing the driveway -- what else is new) and it doesn't matter much which cameras my students are using, unless they are Canon which have a different interface philosophy. It's no worse than iMac versus PC, but it is hard to answer some questions when you don't understand the interface. I'm teaming up with another local photographer who uses Canon for a course this year. That should work better.
01-03-2014, 01:25 PM   #11
Moderator PEG Judges

Welcome to the forum, the K-3 by all accounts is a great piece of kit, enjoy the getting to grips with her, it's all part of the fun.