Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-06-2014, 04:29 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Southern Indiana
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 14,957
QuoteOriginally posted by Matthew Saville Quote
Thanks! So, when you say "Auto Aperture" works fine, you mean that I can shoot in manual exposure or aperture priority, and set the aperture either on the camera or on the lens, and get the full EXIF info if I tell the camera what lens / aperture it is?

Is there any sort of memory bank so I don't have to enter the lens each time?

=Matt=
What he means is that there is an "A" setting on the aperture dial, where you can set the aperture with the camera and not just on the lens and yes, the lens does communicate the aperture with the body for the EXIF data.

Welcome, by the way! You have some great shots there. If you are unsure, it wouldn't hurt to rent a K3 and a couple of lenses and see if it fits with you style of shooting. I find it a very nice camera which is tough enough to deal with whatever I throw its way.

01-06-2014, 06:52 AM   #17
Pentaxian
Class A's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Wellington, New Zealand
Posts: 8,939
Hi and welcome to the forum!

Great images; thanks for sharing!

QuoteOriginally posted by Matthew Saville Quote
So, when you say "Auto Aperture" works fine, you mean that I can shoot in manual exposure or aperture priority, and set the aperture either on the camera or on the lens, and get the full EXIF info if I tell the camera what lens / aperture it is?
The Rokinon / Samyang / Bower lenses on Pentax are fully supported, i.e., matrix metering works, focus confirmation works, the f-ratio can be chosen on the camera body and is recorded in the EXIF data, etc.

The only limitations are that you have to provide the focal length manually upon start up (if you want to use the in-body image stabilisation with the lens) and you (obviously) have to manually focus.

BTW, the Samyang 85/1.4 is an exceptional lens.

P.S.: Do you know the Pentax O-GPS1, aka "astrotracer"? It goes on the hot-shoe and then enables the camera to track the movement of the stars by shifting and rotating the sensor. It also adds GPS data to the images, but I guess you are probably more interested in the "star tracking" capability.

Depending on the quality of the calibration, the O-GPS1 can achieve impressive results. Unfortunately, calibration quality seems to be a bit "hit and miss" sometimes probably caused by the fact that the compass has a hard time to find its bearings, but with a bit of luck you can get great results. Here's a respective discussion about the merit of the astrotracer.
01-06-2014, 09:38 PM   #18
Veteran Member




Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 818
QuoteOriginally posted by Matthew Saville Quote
As far as cash-in-pocket is concerned, I'll have to wait WRT getting a K-3 on a whim, but if I sell enough DX Nikon gear (and maybe even FX Nikon gear) then yeah I could probably fund a complete setup. I'm more inclined to get the Sigma 18-35 though first, and the primes / wide zooms later when I really need them.

I use a completely separate flash system, (RadioPopper JRX) ...so as long as their on-camera flashes are simple enough to use, I'll be fine.
=Matt=
I would advise you to read up and research more on pentax lens lineup to prevent future complications.
WRT flashes, you're aware that there is simply no way Pentax supports off-shoe pTTL exposure right? Off-shoe, it would be full manual unless you look at the only workaround; Aokatec wireless trigger.

And of course, off shoe full manual, you will need to walk up to the flashes and manual adjust power output.

QuoteOriginally posted by Matthew Saville Quote
Thanks again guys for all the responses! I keep thinking of more questions, though... Here's another!

How is the battery life in near-freezing temperatures for timelapse photography? most of my current Nikon "prosumer" DX gear gets about ~200 images into a timelapse and the battery dies, which isn't long if you're trying to run back-to-back 30-sec. exposures for a few hours straight.

Bonus points if you know how the V-grip lasts in near/sub-freezing temps when using AA batteries, since I have about a zillion Eneloops... :-)

=Matt=
Gotta ask this guy.. https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/247721-put-my-k-3-through-...s-weekend.html

QuoteOriginally posted by Matthew Saville Quote
Thanks! So, when you say "Auto Aperture" works fine, you mean that I can shoot in manual exposure or aperture priority, and set the aperture either on the camera or on the lens, and get the full EXIF info if I tell the camera what lens / aperture it is?

Is there any sort of memory bank so I don't have to enter the lens each time?

=Matt=
What we do for vintage lenses is just leave the aperture ring on the "A" setting, for those A-series lenses, and then you can adjust the aperture in-body. Once you shift it off from the "A" setting, it will function as like K/M/M42 lenses and you cannot adjust the aperture in-body. Neither will the EXIF then reflect the aperture used as it means that the electronic linkage is disconnected.

When dealing with vintage lenses, you can only "tell" the body which focal length that you are using, not exactly the exact kind of lens used. And this would have to be done eery single time you switch it on/off.
01-06-2014, 10:41 PM   #19
Kiwi Pentaxian
NZ_Ross's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Timaru
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,999
QuoteOriginally posted by Matthew Saville Quote
Hi there folks! I'm Matthew Saville. I suppose that is obvious by my username though.

I am new to Pentax, in fact I have yet to even purchase one. However I review DSLR cameras for SLR Lounge, so I've at least handled pretty much everything under the sun. I know both Nikon and Canon like the back of my hand, and usually I prefer Nikon for their controls and their overall philosophy and track record of delivering what photographers want most. (D700, D800, affordable pro-grade primes, continued backwards compatibility with the entire history of lenses, etc.)

However lately I have been falling out of love due to the fact that Nikon has clearly given up all hope of serving the pro DX crop-sensor market. My D300 was a killer camera in its time and the D300s was a good step in the right direction, but who knows if we'll see a D400 and even if we do, Nikon hasn't made a pro DX lens since their first three that they made like what, a decade ago?
Welcome to Pentax Forum Matthew - you will find it a friendly place where everyone is pretty helpful

I am also an ex Nikon shooter, although I came from a D200 to the K5 a couple of years ago. The reason for my change was for a WR light DSLR travel kit - I have been very happy with my decision. The K3 is really tempting me to upgrade, but time will tell.

As others have said the Pentax Limited lenses (both DX and FX) are special lenses. The DA*'s are also generally very good.

QuoteOriginally posted by SyncGuy Quote
What we do for vintage lenses is just leave the aperture ring on the "A" setting, for those A-series lenses, and then you can adjust the aperture in-body. Once you shift it off from the "A" setting, it will function as like K/M/M42 lenses and you cannot adjust the aperture in-body. Neither will the EXIF then reflect the aperture used as it means that the electronic linkage is disconnected.

When dealing with vintage lenses, you can only "tell" the body which focal length that you are using, not exactly the exact kind of lens used. And this would have to be done eery single time you switch it on/off.
I also shoot older lenses and non-Pentax lenses (for example I have a Leica R 90/2.8 which I converted using a Leitax converter). The lenses act as K or M lenses and only display the focal length this is input as others have stated. My work-around for this (as I like to record which lens I have used in the EXIF) is to use a product called ExifChanger which is very flexible and allows easy batch changing of Exif data. I just change the lens data with this post shoot. It is an extra step in the workflow (which is mildly annoying) but it doesn't take too long, and is a good practical work around to this issue.

Undertaking this change allows me to complete metadata analysis of lens and shooting parameter use from time to time.

Enjoy your journey into considering Pentax equipment.

Ross

01-07-2014, 12:03 AM   #20
Site Supporter
DJSponge's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 91
Matt, WRT battery life in very cold conditions, the K-3 is fantastic. I had mine out overnight at around 8 degrees F, took around 100 frames at 10pm to 11pm, and it stayed on in sleep mode the rest of the night. When I awoke around 8am (now 14 degrees) the battery was still showing about 3/4 full.


01-07-2014, 12:04 AM   #21
Pentaxian
maxfield_photo's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 1,216
QuoteOriginally posted by SyncGuy Quote
WRT flashes, you're aware that there is simply no way Pentax supports off-shoe pTTL exposure right? Off-shoe, it would be full manual unless you look at the only workaround; Aokatec wireless trigger.
That's not quite correct. You can use Pentax strobes off camera via optical signals from the pop-up flash, or an on-camera speedlight, but it's no where near as sophisticated as the Nikon CLS flash system. Exposure can be in pTTL, manual, or auto thyristor modes. There is no support for "groups" or "zones" in the Pentax flash system sadly. Also, when it comes to High Speed Sync (FP Sync), you will need two Pentax-dedicated speedlights to achieve off camera HSS.

The Radiopopper JrX system though is brand agnostic, at least at the camera side of it, and you'll be able to use your existing Nikon strobes with it on a Pentax DLSR. Unfortunately your max sync speed will be 1/180th unless they raise that limit on a future camera.
01-07-2014, 02:13 AM   #22
Veteran Member




Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 818
QuoteOriginally posted by maxfield_photo Quote
That's not quite correct. You can use Pentax strobes off camera via optical signals from the pop-up flash, or an on-camera speedlight, but it's no where near as sophisticated as the Nikon CLS flash system. Exposure can be in pTTL, manual, or auto thyristor modes. There is no support for "groups" or "zones" in the Pentax flash system sadly. Also, when it comes to High Speed Sync (FP Sync), you will need two Pentax-dedicated speedlights to achieve off camera HSS.

The Radiopopper JrX system though is brand agnostic, at least at the camera side of it, and you'll be able to use your existing Nikon strobes with it on a Pentax DLSR. Unfortunately your max sync speed will be 1/180th unless they raise that limit on a future camera.
Wait.... You mean you can have pTTL output from an off shoe flash with the pop-up flash? This is new to me... Honestly.. I'll be damned not knowing it for far too long.. LoL!
01-07-2014, 04:46 AM   #23
Pentaxian
Class A's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Wellington, New Zealand
Posts: 8,939
QuoteOriginally posted by SyncGuy Quote
And of course, off shoe full manual, you will need to walk up to the flashes and manual adjust power output.
Not for much longer. The upcoming Cactus V6 will support remote power control.

QuoteOriginally posted by maxfield_photo Quote
There is no support for "groups" or "zones" in the Pentax flash system sadly.
The Cactus V5 has very limited support for "grouping" (five channels can be addressed either individually or all together).

Again, I expect the Cactus V6 to improve on the above functionality.


QuoteOriginally posted by SyncGuy Quote
Wait.... You mean you can have pTTL output from an off shoe flash with the pop-up flash?
Of course, you can.

As maxfield_photo wrote there is only limited functionality. However, at least the flash and camera communicate in order to achieve a good exposure (by controlling the flash power) and you can dial in a bit of flash exposure compensation in the camera. Better than nothing, but real strobists use manual control anyhow.

01-07-2014, 11:13 AM   #24
Pentaxian
maxfield_photo's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 1,216
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Not for much longer. The upcoming Cactus V6 will support remote power control.
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay! Do you have a link to any information about the V6s? I have a set of V5s and I'm a huge fan of them, but my dream as a Pentax shooting strobist is remote manual power control.
01-07-2014, 04:12 PM   #25
Moderator PEG Judges
Kerrowdown's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Highlands of Scotland.
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 30,696
Welcome to the forum, I must admit I use the "other" brands for work and will admit I'm mighty impressed with Nikons latest D4 offering, but don't tell everyone here I said so.

I still however, shoot Pentax for my pleasure, there's just something about it that I can't put my finger on, but Pentax has...
01-08-2014, 01:34 AM   #26
Pentaxian
Class A's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Wellington, New Zealand
Posts: 8,939
QuoteOriginally posted by maxfield_photo Quote
Do you have a link to any information about the V6s?
There is a bit of information about the V6 on the FlashHavoc site but note that most of it is speculation.

QuoteOriginally posted by maxfield_photo Quote
I have a set of V5s and I'm a huge fan of them, but my dream as a Pentax shooting strobist is remote manual power control.
Same here.

I'm convinced the Cactus V6 will be worth waiting for.
01-08-2014, 07:15 AM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
TER-OR's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Dundee, IL
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,417
If the battery is mostly charged they do pretty well in the cold, but if they're starting out below half they are more affected by the cold, in my experience.

I saw a setup for astrophotography (or maybe overnight time lapse) here where the photographer had secondary batteries, heater tape around the lens hood to prevent frosting the front element, and a number of other additions. Everything was suspended from the tripod. I can't find that now, maybe someone knows where that is.
01-08-2014, 08:55 AM   #28
Veteran Member




Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New Orleans
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,054
First off, beautiful pictures. Another unique Pentax feature that might pique your interests is the astrotracer. It is a GPS unit which attaches to the hotshoe and uses the shake reduction system to move the sensor to make the most of long exposures of the night sky.
01-08-2014, 01:36 PM   #29
Veteran Member
scratchpaddy's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 2,360
QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
I saw a setup for astrophotography (or maybe overnight time lapse) here where the photographer had secondary batteries, heater tape around the lens hood to prevent frosting the front element, and a number of other additions. Everything was suspended from the tripod. I can't find that now, maybe someone knows where that is.
I think you're talking about @kamayok3 's setup, here:

Milky Way timelapse by Pentax K-5
01-08-2014, 05:34 PM   #30
Senior Member
Matthew Saville's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Southern California
Posts: 250
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
What he means is that there is an "A" setting on the aperture dial, where you can set the aperture with the camera and not just on the lens and yes, the lens does communicate the aperture with the body for the EXIF data.

Welcome, by the way! You have some great shots there. If you are unsure, it wouldn't hurt to rent a K3 and a couple of lenses and see if it fits with you style of shooting. I find it a very nice camera which is tough enough to deal with whatever I throw its way.
I will be doing this for sure in the next few weeks. Since I work for SLR Lounge I have access to pretty much anything I want to test / review, and the K-3 is at top of my list right now. :-)

=Matt=
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
adventure, dx, f/2.8, k-3, landscape, nikon, pentax, photography, review, sigma
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Kx user here - should i go to K-5 or K-30 or wait for K-3 ladybug Pentax K-5 17 08-18-2012 08:39 AM
So tempted to sell my K-X and get a K-5 now geekette Pentax K-5 32 04-19-2012 11:45 AM
So K-5 is here... make me love it! klkitchens Pentax K-5 16 12-14-2011 05:42 PM
K-x, I am so, so tempted...... Ed n Georgia Pentax DSLR Discussion 15 02-20-2010 09:47 PM
Tempted by Nikon D90 hinman Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 29 10-06-2008 06:11 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:45 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top