Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-14-2015, 04:46 PM - 1 Like   #61

Halo, Pentaxians! I am another Nikon shooter who is thinking very much about switching to Pentax. My reason is a little subjective but I believe you would understand. I was using Nikon D300 with Nikkor 50/f1,4D and was very happy with it. Then I let my self be tempted to a full frame and changed it for a D800E and a 50mm/1,4G. I kept repeating my self how happy I am with this one too.......but....
I wasn't. No, the camera is wonderful and everything they say about it and with a set of very expensive lenses would be perfect, but, in my opinion, is........soulless. It's sterile. I thing it's perfect if you gonna check every pixel on the corners or whatever.
Someone said that is missing the joy of photography and I am so, so agree. Besides. I am an actor and not a tech maniac. In the Pentax images I see somewhat more.....art.
Hope I don't sound like some crazy but I am very much thinking of selling my D800E and get my self a K-3. Initially I wont spend all the money from the Nikon but I was thinking to get a 70mm/2,4 ltd and if I can a 15ltd. If not a 35 f2,4 if it's OK for every day. I shoot a lot of portraits, in the city, in the theater so I'm gonna need a wide later.
Thank you for your attention and let me introduce my self, my name is George and this is my flickr profile:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/loki_in_disguise/

04-01-2015, 09:01 AM   #62

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by zlatarev Quote
Halo, Pentaxians! I am another Nikon shooter who is thinking very much about switching to Pentax. My reason is a little subjective but I believe you would understand. I was using Nikon D300 with Nikkor 50/f1,4D and was very happy with it. Then I let my self be tempted to a full frame and changed it for a D800E and a 50mm/1,4G. I kept repeating my self how happy I am with this one too.......but....
I wasn't. No, the camera is wonderful and everything they say about it and with a set of very expensive lenses would be perfect, but, in my opinion, is........soulless. It's sterile. I thing it's perfect if you gonna check every pixel on the corners or whatever.
Someone said that is missing the joy of photography and I am so, so agree. Besides. I am an actor and not a tech maniac. In the Pentax images I see somewhat more.....art.
Hope I don't sound like some crazy but I am very much thinking of selling my D800E and get my self a K-3. Initially I wont spend all the money from the Nikon but I was thinking to get a 70mm/2,4 ltd and if I can a 15ltd. If not a 35 f2,4 if it's OK for every day. I shoot a lot of portraits, in the city, in the theater so I'm gonna need a wide later.
Thank you for your attention and let me introduce my self, my name is George and this is my flickr profile:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/loki_in_disguise/
Hi George,

I think you are in the right place. Either that, or you belong in the Fuji camp LOL? One or the other, but definitely not Nikon, Canon, or Sony. All three have gone down the path to "sterile" a long time ago.

I don't know if this will sound offensive to any Pentax users, but to me part of what makes a camera "endearing" to me is when it isn't perfect, and I have to work around some of its bugs in order to really get to know it and make it work for me.

I posted this in my final review of the K-3, and a lot of folks spoke up about how "it's not better or worse, it's just different". Well, I'm here to say, there is indeed such a thing as "better or worse" when it comes to a handful of things about cameras. To that end, I found the Pentax K-3 to be slightly more difficult to operate, and it was more than just a matter of getting to know it. I'm paid to get to know cameras, and I can tell when one camera is going to be more difficult to truly master than another camera.

Having said that, anyone who takes the time to get to know a K-3, will be rewarded with a fantastic "relationship" so to speak. The camera can sing and dance, you just have to teach it. (Or, teach your fingers?)

The more I see from Nikon, Sony, Canon, and Fuji, the more I wonder if Pentax is where I should be. The K-3 is the Nikon D400 I always wanted. The more beginner oriented Pentax bodies all (?) have weather sealing, and now they even have a lightweight 18-55 kit with weather sealing too. For me as an adventure photographer, that is huge. I don't just want good cameras that come in brick-like form, I want good cameras on the beginner end, so that I can sometimes pack light and travel far... Then, there's the promise of a Pentax Full-Frame. While I might not really need one just yet, (I already own a Nikon D750, which suits my FX needs very well) ...it's at least nice to know that Pentax is creating a future there.

Lastly, there's the GPS module that can do moderate astro-traacking, which I hope (expect) will eventually be included in their highest-end cameras. All in all, I'm highly tempted. Whenever the K-3 goes on sale, I always check my bank account LOL!

=Matt=
04-01-2015, 12:35 PM   #63

Thank you, Matthew! At this point I am already a proud, Bulgarian Pentax K-3 user. (Though they tried to change my mind in the shop and recommend me exactly a Fuji) Got it with 18-135mm that amazed me what quality gives you for a kit lens. My first zoom lens I must say
Also took a 50mm/f4 macro Takumar and a 135/f2,5 Takumar so for now I am happy.
There is something else. I feel very much at home in the Pentax forums with the Pentax fans.
Could it be that is the brand that make people intelligent?

Last edited by zlatarev; 04-01-2015 at 01:05 PM.
04-01-2015, 01:11 PM   #64
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Matthew Saville Quote
My thoughts exactly. I guess I've reached the point where brand loyalty and that "fanboy" feeling are completely non-existent, if they ever were.

If anything, I'd love to own every system I possibly can. Maybe if I have a mid-life crisis I'll buy all the best cameras from each and every system, instead of a Harley or a Ferrari. We'll see!

=Matt=
I do that, sorta. I just sold off my Nikon D7100 so I'm now down to one modern semi-pro body, the K-3. The hardest part of owning multiple systems is affording quality glass for each. Pentax and Olympus do a good job of making quality affordable. Nikon did so with their 35mm f1.8 lens, which is pretty much the only lens I ever use on my D5100. Canon too has done a good job especially with their recent 10-18mm lens.

Good luck, and deep pockets, if you go down that route.