Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-07-2014, 09:31 AM   #1

Back to Pentax!

A lifelong Pentax user, I joined the digital crowd in 2004, but with some misgivings. Since the digital Pentax cameras (ist) ranged in stratosphere pricing ($1700 for the body!), I opted for a prosumer Fuji S7000. It has served me well for 10 years, but the small LCD screen, lack of flash firepower, and - of course - inability to use my lenses OR even filters, made me consider a DSLR. After watching the excitement over the K-30, I waited in vain for price drops. When the K-50 appeared, I figured that Ricoh would follow market traditions and sell its predecessor for a nice price; that especially, when Canikon entry-level DSLRs were offered by many stores between $350-650.

Not so, Ricoh. Not only did only few Pentax dealers offer either camera, the advertising for these very full-featured K-series DSLRs was nonexistent, despite great reviews. So I patiently waited for special pricing before the holidays. And since I had my heart set on a Pentax red cam, choices were even fewer. Mostly on Ebay, with prices for the K-50 always at $600+. I was just about to give up and wait for the February sales period, when on Amazon a vendor offered the camera with kit zoom for $579. So I bit - less than a week before Christmas! My wife was certainly relieved, since all I had under the tree up 'till then was a turtleneck sweater.

The camera arrived on Christmas Eve (it was sent Priority 2-day, although I didn't specify it - and at no additional cost). My red Pentax gladly accepted all my lenses, incl. a 45-year old K-mount Mamiya I bought in Japan back then. I am still figuring out things like the Autofocus custom setting for each lens (can you help me here?) but already I was able to do a shoot at New Year for our Polar Bear Plunge with generally good results.

Anyone wanting to buy a Pentax is well-advised to look at brief specials running on Ebay or Amazon (see the sidebar with other vendor associates' offers). Maybe some of you then can explain to me why these sites also offer the same camera at wildly different prices - sometimes $300 more than what I paid.

01-07-2014, 10:01 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Enjoy your new K50, I sure am mine and don't forget to wear that turtleneck sweater out in this cold...Burrrrrrrr...... In an attempt to answer a couple of your questions; You really shouldn't have to use the custom settings for lenses unless they are either back or front focusing. If they are then you would need to use a focus chart and adjust the focus accordingly , saving the setting for that lens.

Sometimes the wild price difference can be attributed to "Grey Market" cameras, which for usually will not have any type of manufactures warranty or rebate. So if something is wrong when you receive your camera, unless purchased through Amazon or Paypal refund policies, or when something happens with your camera within what would be a normal warranty repair, then it leaves you no recourse except to break out the wallet to have it fixed.. Sometimes companies like B&H or Adorama will carry and sell grey market items and in doing so they offer their own warranty. A lot of the Ebay or others carrying them do not offer that so it is wise to buy from a reputable company.

Last edited by Oldbayrunner; 01-13-2014 at 05:39 AM.
01-07-2014, 04:01 PM   #3
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by buessi Quote
up 'till then was a turtleneck sweater
Welcome to the forum, turtlenecks need love too, just as much as new cameras.

Unless of course it had a huge image of Rudolf complete with red nose on it that is.
01-12-2014, 08:32 PM   #4

Photos: Albums
Welcome buessi! And nice pick-up on the red K-50, I'm looking to buy one soon myself (or possibly a K-30 if I find a good deal). Post up a picture or two!
When you say "February sales period", what do you mean exactly? Is it common for digital cameras to go on sale during this month?