Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-07-2014, 10:30 AM   #1

Back to basics

Just getting back into the (D)SLR game. Years ago I had a Pentax film SLR and loved it. I got so used to being able to compose my images and tell the camera what I wanted it to do. I have only had digital point & shoots since everything has gone digital, just waiting for the cost of DSLR's to come within a reasonable price range, and have hated every single second using the point & shoots. I know how 'I' want it to take the picture, but have to figure out which of the 24 program modes is going to do it for me (when I could take 3 secs to set a SLR the way I want it).

Finally! Costs are reasonable (until I decided I want a 12-24 zoom-saving now . I had convinced myself to get the Nikon D3200, then I saw started reading reviews for the Pentax cameras. I loved my old one, just wish I still had the lenses from back then. Convinced myself, even if I had to pay a little more for the Pentax, that this was the way to go.

I just picked up my K-50 with 2k shutter clicks for a steal on Ebay (someone just bought it and decided to go FF). Add the 18-55WR for a complete WR system and a couple other lenses, and I only had $500 in my new system (well, then there were all the accessories, but that is part of the fun too!).

I am having to relearn everything, but boy this stuff comes back so fast it's like riding a bicycle - just have to get used to being able to adjust ISO on the fly, wow! And, I found an awesome place to answer all my questions on this forum.

01-07-2014, 11:24 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum. There are a lot of us who have very definite opinions on things, and I am no less opinionated than anyone else. We share our opinions, sometimes loudly, but the vast majority of us admit to being opinionated.
01-07-2014, 12:45 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by carrguy Quote
but have to figure out which of the 24 program modes is going to do it for me
The DSLRs work very similar to the film cameras with light meters. If you like to shoot at a given f-stop, set the camera to Av mode, pick your f-stop, and the camera will set the shutter speed for you (similar to changing shutter speeds until the light meter needle was centered).

If you like to shoot at a given shutter speed, set the camera to Tv mode, choose your shutter speed, and the camera will set the aperture (similar to changing f-stop until the light meter needle was centered).

You can also change the ISO to give you the f-stop / shutter speed combo's you want (like changing film).

I've never used any of the pre-programmed settings on any of my DSLR's

Tim
01-07-2014, 04:16 PM   #4
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum and welcome back to Pentax, much will now come flooding back to you from your old Pentax film days, enjoy.

01-07-2014, 04:56 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks for the advice, Tim, but I was complaining about the point and shoots. This ability is what I was missing from my previous SLR experience.
I haven't even looked at the program or scene modes on my K-50 (and don't plan to either).

QuoteOriginally posted by atupdate Quote
The DSLRs work very similar to the film cameras with light meters. If you like to shoot at a given f-stop, set the camera to Av mode, pick your f-stop, and the camera will set the shutter speed for you (similar to changing shutter speeds until the light meter needle was centered).

If you like to shoot at a given shutter speed, set the camera to Tv mode, choose your shutter speed, and the camera will set the aperture (similar to changing f-stop until the light meter needle was centered).

You can also change the ISO to give you the f-stop / shutter speed combo's you want (like changing film).

I've never used any of the pre-programmed settings on any of my DSLR's

Tim