Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-10-2014, 02:58 AM   #1

Hello!

I have enjoyed photography for a long time, but only recently got my first DSLR as an early Christmas present. To be honest I had sort of given up on my SLR film camera a while ago, because phone cams and point n' shoot cameras had gotten so good. But there was always something special or extra when I looked at a good (D)SLR picture. So with the birth of our first kid, we thought it would be good to have a nice camera to document his growth. Upon using my new camera, I realized I never fully understood things like exposure, aperture, ISO or Depth of Field. I soon came across a book (Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson) that really opened my eyes (and mind) to the workings of a camera, and how to work in the dreaded "Manual Mode"! The technical side is actually very straight forward, but the concepts on how and when to use these settings had my mind racing and thirsting for more. Pentaxforums.com has been an excellent resource for me. It's a little harder to find gear and help if you don't shoot with a Canon or Nikon, but honestly, I LOVE the pictures I am getting with my K-30 and this site is a great resource! I also have found an excellent website/podcast (Improve Photography - Photography tips for photographers around the world.) with advice and ideas for any photographer looking to 'improve'.

So I've gone out and started taking pictures. Many times I take hundreds of pictures and only end up with one or two that I like. But through this process, I am learning! And each time, I feel like I gained experience in some aspect of photography. After-all, what better way is there to get good at photography than shooting pictures!

I've started a photoblog for my daily/weekly photos (exploring areas of landscape, macro, night, etc): MonkeyJoust

I've also joined 500px where I put some of my better pictures: 500px / Paul Middleton / Photos

This has also been a great place to see what people are doing at a highest levels; where I want to (eventually) get to: 500px / Popular Photos

I just submitted a photo for the Monthly Contest "Best of 2013". You can check it out here:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/21-contest-submissions/248060-out-old-new.html#post2644649

Looking forward to connecting with many of you and seeing what people are up to in the exciting world of photography!

Cheers!
Paul

01-10-2014, 04:12 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum Paul and thank you for that interesting introduction.
01-10-2014, 04:36 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Welcome aboard, and thanks for the intro! Looking at your photos I think you are too modest. I mean, learning the technical side of photography is easy. Learning to see is very, very hard. At least for me

Good to have you with us!
01-12-2014, 05:54 AM   #4
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, what's the secret in getting Santa to deliver early?