Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-11-2014, 04:45 PM   #1

First post...

...wanted to send a PM on the marketplace, but was foiled by the two-post rule. Anyway, obviously new to the forum and am currently DSLR-less. I have (somewhere) a Canon Rebel xt that gave up the ghost a few years ago. Recently I did a bunch of on-line research in looking for a DSLR for my daughter; ended up buying her the K50/18-55 kit. I started playing around with it and am enamored of Pentax's take on the DSLR - excellent features and wonderful ergonomics. Had a K1000 back in the 70s and loved that. I'm kind of stuck on a metal body so am trolling for a good deal on a K5 or K5II.

Mike Leary

01-11-2014, 05:50 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the Forums Mike
01-12-2014, 06:09 AM   #3
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by maikeru Quote
but was foiled by the two-post rule
Welcome aboard, that's one of the two done then.
01-12-2014, 07:51 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Welcome aboard! Finding a K-5 at a reasonable price shouldn't be too difficult these days. Go for a K-5ii if you can for the better auto focus. Not that I have any problems with my K-5 - I'm very happy with it - but "everybody" claims the ii is better in low light, especially under tungsten light.

As for K-5 over the K50, I think the most important feature for me is the top LCD display. I don't like using the rear display more than I absolutely have to. Having focus peaking would have been nice though.

« Nubie | Newbie here »