Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-12-2014, 12:24 PM   #1

New and wondering

Hello!

So yesterday I went antiquing with my sister and I was lucky enough to stumble on several beautiful pentax cameras! I was so excited (since just this week I decided I was going to start getting into SLR film cameras) that I got two, a chrome pentax ES II and a chrome spotmatic SP II. I took them to our local photography store and they work fine but I donít know if the meters are working :/ my ES II has had repairs (it says done in 2002) and the other Iím not sure.

Iíve now found a k1000 and a Spotmatic SP on ebay (with supposedly working meters) that i would like to get. But anywho Iíve had a huge change in one week on now wanting a LOT of cameras. Unfortunately Iíll have to sell one of the ones I have now in order to afford the other ones I want :/ not too fun but I do have horse bills to pay for so Iím trying to figure it all out.

But anywho I am a college student studying animal science and I love cameras and am excited to start learning more about SLR film cameras!

And hereís some pictures

ES II

Spotmatic SP II

01-12-2014, 01:38 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hello and welcome! Lots of us here have these wonderful vintage Spotmatic cameras, and the fine lenses that came with them. Happily the lenses can still be used with current digital Pentax cameras (with an adapter). Join right in the discussions, we have a discussion forum specifically for Pentax SLR film cameras.
01-12-2014, 01:39 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Check the two you have with fresh batteries. The K1000 is a capable starter camera, but a step backward from these two.
01-12-2014, 01:50 PM   #4
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ohmyhi Quote
so Iím trying to figure it all out
Welcome to the forum, all sounds very complicated, for now just get one camera your happy with and stick with a while, works out far cheaper that way.

01-12-2014, 02:47 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by OrchidJulie Quote
Hello and welcome! Lots of us here have these wonderful vintage Spotmatic cameras, and the fine lenses that came with them. Happily the lenses can still be used with current digital Pentax cameras (with an adapter). Join right in the discussions, we have a discussion forum specifically for Pentax SLR film cameras.
Hello and thank you! And I didnít realize how many people had film cameras until I started doing some digging! I am very happy to have found this forum
01-12-2014, 02:48 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Looks like that SP11 has facilities for a motor drive - unusual. Anyway, these all metal cameras are lovely to hold and use. My suggestion is to go for quality of condition rather than quantity. A few good examples will bring more pleasure than numerous unserviceable ones.
01-12-2014, 02:50 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AquaDome Quote
Check the two you have with fresh batteries. The K1000 is a capable starter camera, but a step backward from these two.
I went to the camera store yesterday and we tried batteries in the ES II with no luck and then they didnít really have any batteries for the SP II so at some point Iíll get batteries for at least the SP II again and see what I can do with that. I found a k1000 for what I think is a good price of 25 hardly used and a lot of lenses for it but thatís if I get lucky, I currently think I may be jumping a little fast into it all! But thank you for commenting
01-12-2014, 02:55 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

You'll have to search for the Spotmatic batteries. The last time I was looking for Spotmatic batteries (quite a long time ago, I must confess), the only ones reasonably available were "Wein Air" cells. I think B&H carry several sizes of them. Be sure the contacts are clean, those old batteries were prone to leaking.

Of course, in full manual mode the camera should work perfectly well even without a meter.

01-12-2014, 03:38 PM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The Energizer 387S is an exact fit replacement for the Spotmatic battery. It is 1.5v rather than 1.3v but the Spotmatic has a voltage regulator so it doesn't matter. You can get these on Amazon for around $4. The Wein Cell 1.35v Zinc-Air battery is around $4.50 from B&H, but they don't last as long as a silver oxide battery.
01-12-2014, 03:42 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
The Energizer 387S is an exact fit replacement for the Spotmatic battery. It is 1.5v rather than 1.3v but the Spotmatic has a voltage regulator so it doesn't matter. You can get these on Amazon for around $4. The Wein Cell 1.35v Zinc-Air battery is around $4.50 from B&H, but they don't last as long as a silver oxide battery.
Useful information, thank you!
01-12-2014, 04:07 PM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
Welcome to the forum, all sounds very complicated, for now just get one camera your happy with and stick with a while, works out far cheaper that way.
Yeah I think I might choose between the two and maybe try to sell the other one? I kind of donít want to give up either just because i donít want to regret it but at the same time thereís no point in having one sit around not being used.

And the one on ebay comes with 3 lens, filters, and a spotmatic SP with a working meter (and batteries I believe). So half of me wants to jump on that because I want the lens and figure out what to do what the bodies after wards -_- ugh I wish I had unlimited funds and a darkroom lol
01-12-2014, 04:11 PM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by arnold Quote
Looks like that SP11 has facilities for a motor drive - unusual. Anyway, these all metal cameras are lovely to hold and use. My suggestion is to go for quality of condition rather than quantity. A few good examples will bring more pleasure than numerous unserviceable ones.
I did notice that when I took those photos I posted. What exactly does that mean or what did it do? I saw a few pictures of the extra handle. And although I would love to have the largest collection of cameras in the world I donít want to have tons of cameras I donít use sitting around. I am going to go through testing these two and I might possibly invest in either the K1000 or the spotmatic SP (since both are said to have working meters). But Iím not 100% sure yet whats really to do. I may just pick one out of the two I have and try to sell the other one just to get some money back and get another lens.
01-12-2014, 04:15 PM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by OrchidJulie Quote
You'll have to search for the Spotmatic batteries. The last time I was looking for Spotmatic batteries (quite a long time ago, I must confess), the only ones reasonably available were "Wein Air" cells. I think B&H carry several sizes of them. Be sure the contacts are clean, those old batteries were prone to leaking.

Of course, in full manual mode the camera should work perfectly well even without a meter.
Thank you for the info! I wasnít sure what the best batteries were so I wanted to look around but hadnít googled it yet lol

And I did get some pictures with the spotmatic SP II but some didnít turn out nice at all because I didnít have something lined up so I flooded the pictures (I believe). But I was very happy with the result

01-12-2014, 04:16 PM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Thank you so much! I use amazon a lot so Iíll defiantly order those batteries to see if the meter works Iím very excited to try it out!
01-12-2014, 07:04 PM   #15
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ohmyhi Quote
Thank you so much! I use amazon a lot so Iíll defiantly order those batteries to see if the meter works Iím very excited to try it out!
I have used an LR41 which also fits. The ES11 uses normal 1.5volt LR44 easily available. (also known as 76).