Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-12-2014, 06:09 PM   #1

Hello from Pittsburgh (and Kent)

Hello,

I am a college student studying Architecture at Kent State University in Ohio, (site of Crosby Stills Nash & Young 'Ohio') I got into photography when I came to school, at first because we were "required" to take pictures for... inspiration? and later on just for fun.

Anyway, after promptly buying a cheap point-and-shoot during the first week of classes because I had nothing else, I quickly realized the limitations of the camera: no way to directly choose a point of focus, no changing depth of field... I'm sure you all know.

I started borrowing my buddy's entry-level Nikon DSLR (A LOT) last semester, and liked shooting with it. However, his had some annoying design flaws, and I set out to find a better option.

After a million hours looking at reviews and such on the internet and asking around, I almost bought a Nikon D7000. Something about Pentax drew my attention though, and I picked up the K-5 ii with the 18-55mm WR lens. I couldn't be happier with it!

What I didn't realize at the time of purchase was that older lenses worked on the new bodies. A few weeks ago I bought an old Asahi ME with a Pentax 50mm 1.7 lens and a JC Penny 80-200mm lens all for $30 bucks. It's all in really good condition; it was the lady's grandfather's camera, he had old-school Vivitar filters on the lenses, and it came with a flash that still works on my camera! Talk about backwards compatibility - I think I got a good deal!

Can't say I use the JC Penny lens much, but I haven't taken the 50mm off my camera since I got it! Perhaps I'm incorrect in thinking older Pentax glass is superior to the kit lens I got, but I love the no-nonsense way of shooting with the manual focus and aperture ring. Why new camera lenses have an automatic aperture I can't understand, how hard is it to spin a ring around? I like feeling that I'm actually changing different settings to take my pictures, and not just relying on the camera to do it for me.

I want more prime lenses, but wider, like a 28 or 35 mm. I'll be going to Florence for a semester abroad during my time at Kent, and I want to be able to take decent pictures of building interiors.

I joined the forum mostly to do some more research into lenses and ask some questions of my own before I commit to a purchase. I am still a broke college student after all.

Sorry for the long introduction, thanks!
Dave

01-12-2014, 06:43 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Welcome to the forum

Welcome to the forum. I am KSU graduate, living 30 miles away now in Medina. Congratulations on the K-5II, still one of the best and most up to date digital cameras ever manufactured. I love mine.

Backward compatibility with lenses is a fantastic deal, as you can pick up lots of lenses of different focal lengths. For manual lenses, the K-5II has Catch in Focus, the green focus icon in the view finder, both in my opinion making manual focus lenses easy to use.

I hope you will find the forum as interesting and helpful as I have. Please be sure and post some of your photos.
01-12-2014, 06:58 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Welcome! There's a few burghers on the forum. I'm here today... visiting the parents.
01-13-2014, 09:24 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome aboard! The Kent area is pretty, there's plenty of parks etc. up that way.

Play around with TAv mode with your kit lens - being able to change aperture and shutter speed quickly is why there's an auto-aperture setup on new lenses. Well, that and removing the manual ring saves some money....

Wait on buying the primes until you figure out your shooting requirements. The kit lens is good for that - you'll see where you frequently take images - wide or zoomed and then you'll have an idea of what to concentrate on.

01-14-2014, 02:24 PM   #5
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by A_Dave Quote
After a million hours looking at reviews
Welcome to the forum, I'm glad you didn't just rush into this.