Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-13-2014, 01:58 PM   #1

Learning Photography

I'm just a newbie on photography and I want to explore it more. Can anyone recommend a good book or online resources for beginners? Thanks!

01-13-2014, 02:37 PM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Understanding Exposure by Brian Peterson is an invaluable resource to learn the fundamentals in a very practical way. Online, there are a plethora of choices such as Digital Photography School. First, search for topics such as the exposure triad and learning to see in photography, and build from there.
01-13-2014, 02:53 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Understanding Exposure by Brian Peterson is an invaluable resource to learn the fundamentals in a very practical way. Online, there are a plethora of choices such as Digital Photography School. First, search for topics such as the exposure triad and learning to see in photography, and build from there.
Thanks a lot, Ash. I'll check on those.
01-13-2014, 06:37 PM   #4

You tube really helped me out when I was learning. There are millions of videos on every part of photography.

JD

01-14-2014, 02:32 PM   #5
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome, both this forum and Google/YouTube can certainly get you on the right lines.
01-14-2014, 02:52 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Scott Kelby's Digital Photography books (the first two) are pretty useful. He has a quirky humor that you either have to put up with or enjoy, depending on your point of view, but they can be useful to get started. I think this forum is great too. Posting photos (especially ones that don't turn out) will help you see how you can make better images in the future. Most people aren't too hard on you either, at least when they know you are a beginner.

Oh, and welcome!
01-14-2014, 05:53 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Get the books by Michael Freeman. He has several. I have Photographer's Mind, Photographer's Eye, and Perfect Exposure... all by him... excellent resources if used properly.

He goes into a lot of interesting detail about what elements (artistically) make up a good photograph...as well as other things such as 'observing light'... I have a whole collection of books and I am impressed by his. Please note though, his books do not go in to describing what is 'aperture' or 'what does ISO mean'...they are more like art books in many ways tailored for photographers...

If you are going more basic and learning basic basics then there are many other resources that fit that better.

For what it's worth I read books and websites on photography for well over a year before I ever bought a DSLR (my first one).

06-02-2014, 03:39 PM   #8

Good morning every one, im just newbie on the field on photography and i want to explore the setting and function the right way using my camera can anyone recommend the best resources for beginners in this field