Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-15-2014, 07:47 PM   #1

Hello from Western Australia

Dear Pentaxians,
Just like to say Gday from the other West Coast ,Western Australia where i describe the light as living in a diamond .Have been a fan of Pentax since the Digital era started.As i feel Pentax was such a great camera and so affordable .I have just purchased a K3 body and am wondering what lenses to use .I do Portraits and buildings and landscape .I need very sharp lenses having been used Leica glass and M cameras in both film and digital .These are used for specific purposes while the k3 will have an important place as well .So your advice please i do like Zooms as they are convenient .Did a book with both Leica and Pentax about the Eastern Goldfields and specifically Kalgoorlie Fields of Gold FIELDS OF GOLD Photography by Charley Nadin .One of my best mates Lynn Webb also a great Pentaxian has done a lot of work there as well and is an inspiration for what the K5s will do .
So look forward to joining you all
charley

01-16-2014, 12:17 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Good day mate and welcome to the forum
01-16-2014, 03:36 AM   #3
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Welcome aboard, have a look at the lens review section here on the forum, fwiw the limited and * primes lens are pretty darned good.
01-16-2014, 03:45 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to a fellow Aussie.

01-16-2014, 02:55 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Charley,

I recently spent 8 months travelling down under, including some fossicking around Kalgoorlie. You certainly are lucky to live in Australia.

If you plan to shoot in the outback, get the sealed lenses (WR). That is what I should have gotten before my trip.
The DA* series should be great for you.
The Limited series has excellent quality and I love them for their small size. Great for travel!

Cheers from Berlin where light in winter is so dull, no sun for weeks!

Jephi

Last edited by jephi; 01-16-2014 at 03:10 PM.
01-17-2014, 04:42 AM   #6

Welcome fellow Oze.

I have bought K3 and DA*16-50 but this glass, even though excellent for me, may not be good enough for you sharpness wise. There are sections in the forum on lenses review where you may find a better fit in the primes range.

Cromer
01-17-2014, 06:13 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Hello and welcome from the next state over.

Got plenty of interesting countryside over your way, although the distances can be daunting. I have a brother living down Mandurah way, so have been to WA a few times now. Love the SouthWest corner.

I believe the DA55 is one of the sharpest lenses, and the DA35 Limited is no slouch either. FA77 or DA70 are both sharp. Secondhand, I have a F50/1.7 and find that very sharp.

The new Sigma 18-35 is coming soon in Pentax mount, if you can live with the weight. And the new Sigma 35mm seems to be one of the sharpest lens going, again rather bulky.

While I don't own one, the DA16-50 files I have seen suggest this lens is no slouch sharpness-wise. At the ultra-wide end, the 12-24 zoom is apparently very good. The DA50-135 is very good.

Hope that provides a little information on which you can base some further research.

Consider though that sharpness is only one element of what makes an image good. Saturation and rendering are both important and this is where many of the Pentax lenses shine.