Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-16-2014, 10:31 AM   #1

Introduction

Hello everybody,
I am pleased to have found this group.Having "lurked" here, reading many posts for the last couple of months I decided I had better introduce myself ;-)
I am located in a rural area of south west/ central N.Y.state. I am currently endeavoring to learn photography for the second time.The first being about 20 years ago ( pre divorce). After alot of reading of reviews,anecdotal commentaries and looking at sample photos I decided I wanted aNikon D7000 or a Pentax K5. After a bit more research I began leaning more heavily towards Pentax. However...I couldn't find what I really wanted at an affordable price so with about 2 weeks left before the birth of my 3rd grandchild I purchased a used Nikon d 5100 four mos. ago.
I still want a Pentax as I believe the weather/dust /cold sealing is a primary concern for me. I have come to the conclusion that I should also consider a K30 or a K50(weather sealed???I can't quite remember) as well as the K5.
My areas of interest would include grandkids school and sporting events. Action shots of my Great Pyrenees showing/working/and puppies playing. Additionally, nature and wild life as well as the macro shooting I found I really enjoyed 20 years ago.

So, there you have it.BTW I generally don't post much, as all I have for internet access is a tiny keyboard on a Straight Talk phone. UGGGHHH!!
I'd appreciate any and all feedback on my choice of cameras as well as appropriate lens choices.

Thank you ahead of time.
Pyrs n Finns, (sheep)
Deb.

01-16-2014, 11:45 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome! I too am reclaiming photography after 15 years, so welcome back. The K-50 seems to be a good value right now with body-only going for $400 - $500, depending on used, refurb, etc. I couldn't see any real difference (for my purposes, anyway) between the K-30, K-50, and K-5 so it came down to price and availability. The K-30 and K-50 have better video than the K-5, or so I have read. I really don't do video, but with grandkids and working dogs, you probably need it. Video of the dogs herding the kids could be fun...
01-16-2014, 01:37 PM   #3
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Hello again.
01-16-2014, 02:49 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
Hello again.
Thanks Kerrydown

Price and or a really good deal on a bundle will probably be my deciding factor too.

Hope your eyesight has fared better than mine over the years.Wish diopters were twice the range of what is currently normal. I still have to shoot with my glasses on!

01-16-2014, 02:58 PM   #5
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pyrs n finns Quote
I still have to shoot with my glasses on!
Me too, but if a take 'em off I can't see to find them later.