Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-16-2014, 06:31 PM   #1

New user

Hey everybody, newbie here.That title makes me sound like I'm posting on a drug forum...I guess it's kinda like that...

I'd been out of photography for years, had kept my old Minolta film cameras and lenses for occasional use, but mostly they just sat around. They didn't like that, and I ended up selling my last two bodies when they needed repair, because I didn't use them enough to justify the expense. And then film and developing, hoping the exposure was right, etc. - I guess I'm less enamored of risk as I age. I hung on to the lenses, just because that Minolta glass was so nice, and, well, I might use it someday...

Then last year, late to the game, I discovered all of the ways to use old lenses with digital MIL cameras, and I bit the bullet and bought a Sony NEX-5N body (don't hate me...) and an adapter, and what a load of fun I've been having just farting around. That's a great camera for that use, but not very pocketable with a 28-85 zoom hanging on the end of it.

So, with my attraction to vintage lenses, and a desire to have something a little more portable for everyday use, I stopped in my tracks when I saw the Pentax MX-1 deal in the Adorama email around the first of the year. I scoured the internet for all the info I could find, and I found a lot of it here. I want to thank all of you who convinced me to buy that camera - it's really a fine piece, and intuitive even for a screaming Luddite like me. Oh, if anyone hasn't checked out Blunty's review of the MX-1, it's worth a view. That may have pushed me into the "Buy" column, too...

I'm only playing around with the camera so far, but I hope to have some images worth posting soon. I expect to have some questions, too, and I think I'll feel safe asking them here.

Thanks again, all!

James

01-16-2014, 06:58 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by econojames Quote
Hey everybody, newbie here.That title makes me sound like I'm posting on a drug forum...I guess it's kinda like that...

I'd been out of photography for years, had kept my old Minolta film cameras and lenses for occasional use, but mostly they just sat around. They didn't like that, and I ended up selling my last two bodies when they needed repair, because I didn't use them enough to justify the expense. And then film and developing, hoping the exposure was right, etc. - I guess I'm less enamored of risk as I age. I hung on to the lenses, just because that Minolta glass was so nice, and, well, I might use it someday...

Then last year, late to the game, I discovered all of the ways to use old lenses with digital MIL cameras, and I bit the bullet and bought a Sony NEX-5N body (don't hate me...) and an adapter, and what a load of fun I've been having just farting around. That's a great camera for that use, but not very pocketable with a 28-85 zoom hanging on the end of it.

So, with my attraction to vintage lenses, and a desire to have something a little more portable for everyday use, I stopped in my tracks when I saw the Pentax MX-1 deal in the Adorama email around the first of the year. I scoured the internet for all the info I could find, and I found a lot of it here. I want to thank all of you who convinced me to buy that camera - it's really a fine piece, and intuitive even for a screaming Luddite like me. Oh, if anyone hasn't checked out Blunty's review of the MX-1, it's worth a view. That may have pushed me into the "Buy" column, too...

I'm only playing around with the camera so far, but I hope to have some images worth posting soon. I expect to have some questions, too, and I think I'll feel safe asking them here.

Thanks again, all!

James
Welcome aboard! You definitely got a great deal on the MX-1 and I'm sure you'll enjoy the camera I'm also sure it will tempt you to add a K-3 to your kit later on

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-16-2014, 08:51 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hello James
Welcome to the Forums and the Pentax family
01-17-2014, 03:12 PM   #4
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum and I guess welcome back to photography too.