Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-24-2014, 09:14 AM   #1

New Pentax User

Just found out about the Pentax Forums and glad I did. I haven't looked much around, but I sure will spending a lot of my time on here learning, researching, and posting.

After a few weeks of deciding what to ultimately get for a first time DSLR owner photography enthusiast I made a purchase from B&H for a new Pentax K-5 IIs with the Pentax 50mm f/1.8 lens.

I've been anticipating the arrival of my new purchase so I can start learning everything about it and start practicing. I hope to stick with Pentax for years to come and build a good lens collection.

What are some lenses one would suggest for - landscape, still photography (cars, flowers, etc)

For an example of my camera phone photography you can check my Instagram. This should give some of you an idea of the type of photography I have taken from my phone. Instagram

01-24-2014, 09:50 AM   #2
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by santa Quote
I made a purchase from B&H for a new Pentax K-5 IIs
I ordered mine yesterday (body only) when the price hit $699.00 I couldn't take it anymore.
Welcome to the forum.
01-24-2014, 12:58 PM   #3
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, have a look at the lens sections here as they may help you decide.

Pentax Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

Pentax Lenses by Sigma, Tamron, Zeiss, and more - Reviews and Specification Database - Pentax Lens Review Database
01-24-2014, 01:30 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Welcome to the forum

Great to have you in forum. Lens ideas are limitless, including almost every lens Pentax has manufactured. Wishing you all the very best, and looking forward to seeing more of your images with the K5kiis. Mine does not have the s.

01-24-2014, 02:02 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
With a weather resistant body you might consider a weather resistant lens. The 18-55 kit lens is pretty good, the 18-135 is better.

Beyond that, keep an eye on threads discussing various wide angle lenses, they're usually nice for landscape.
01-24-2014, 04:20 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thank you for the useful information everyone.

Parallax - I also couldn't pass up the $699 deal. Bundled with the 50mm f/1.8 it made my decision easier.

I feel like I would enjoy purchasing an older lens with a manual focus. I'll have to do a bit more research on my part.

TER-OR - I plan to pick up within a week or two a Pentax 50-200 mm F4-5.6 WR lens from a local camera shop that would price match any online websites. They have one in stock because it was ordered for someone else that never came and picked it up. There was no kit lens offered wit the IIs model which was why I opted for the 50mm. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll keep my eye out for them.
01-28-2014, 11:26 AM   #7

Original Poster
Loving the Pentax K5 IIs. Managed to get it in the mail yesterday and played around with it. Definitely a good amount of practice is needed to learn the in and outs on this camera and all of its features.

I hope to post up my photography on the forums soon to share with you all and get some feedback.

01-28-2014, 11:27 AM   #8
dmc
Forum Member

Welcome. And, +1 on the 18-135.