Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-25-2014, 05:29 AM   #1

Hi, typing this just South of London

Just turned midday here in a chilly and wet London, ( what's new there then ) and joined the forum last night 24th Jan 2014 so hello to anyone reading.

I've been interested in photography since being at school when I'd spend Sundays at Brands Hatch racing circuit taking pictures of the bikes when people like Barry Sheen, Phil Read, Agostini used to ride. Both round the track and close up in the paddock where all the bikes were prepared. Would develop the film after school in a blacked out toilet, literally, then print up some 8 x 6 black and white prints on an old knackered enlarger and sell them at school. I was the one and only member of the school photography club run by our pottery teacher at our all boys school.

My biggest shock came at the age of 15 when I went in to the pottery teachers back room store cupboard to hang up some prints I'd made and left soaking overnight in a tray of water. He said to come and collect them lunchtime and he'd hang them up for me to dry in the morning but as I was early into school that day I thought I'd save him the trouble. He must have done some printing of his own after I had gone home as there were more trays there with prints soaking. Not knowing what was mine I lifted up a few face down prints only to see fresh topless shots of our newest and one of a very few young female teachers at our school. My hands were trembling and I couldn't get out of there fast enough for fear of being caught and getting a thorough beating for looking at our pottery teachers after hours hobby !

My first SLR was a Praktica. I always wanted follow photography as a living but I had a Saturday job in Boots the Chemist ( yes on the photography counter ) and the older chap in charge told me I'd never make any money out of it so I went into the more traditional world of work. Years in I run my own graphics and restaurant outdoor fit-out business now and can pay my bills so in my mind things have worked out OK.

Kept up the photography as a hobby over the years, snatching time when you can. Had a Pentax K5 when they came out then recently bought a K3, like the rest of you hanging on in there for a full frame. One day !

01-25-2014, 09:16 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Welcome, and thanks for the intro! I suppose this time of year wouldn't be the most inspiring for photography in London. It certainly isn't in Oslo.

And I would have thought pottery teachers were more careful with their, umm, art.
01-25-2014, 09:40 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Welcome to the forum

Envy you the K-3! Hope you enjoy it and post some of your work for us on the forum. London certainly offers a full venue for photography, even though photographed so much it may be hard to find something original.
01-25-2014, 02:03 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Welcome to the forum, I find it a great place to read and learn.

01-25-2014, 03:16 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Welcome, and thanks for the intro! I suppose this time of year wouldn't be the most inspiring for photography in London. It certainly isn't in Oslo.

And I would have thought pottery teachers were more careful with their, umm, art.
Thanks Savoche, guess the hands of the potter are skilled in many ways !
01-25-2014, 03:19 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
Envy you the K-3! Hope you enjoy it and post some of your work for us on the forum. London certainly offers a full venue for photography, even though photographed so much it may be hard to find something original.
Thanks Ivan. You know I've worked in London for 30 years and still every month I visit a bit of it I just didn't know existed. You never tire of the place.
01-26-2014, 03:49 AM   #7
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by JPRLondon Quote
like the rest of you hanging on in there for a full frame. One day !
Welcome to the forum, great intro made me smile anyway and yes Pentax FF is coming... ish, I just hope in my lifetime.
01-26-2014, 05:54 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
Welcome to the forum, great intro made me smile anyway and yes Pentax FF is coming... ish, I just hope in my lifetime.
Thanks Kerrow, appreciate the message