Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-25-2014, 03:50 PM   #1

New member, new to DSLR's.

Hey there fellas. I'm not quite new to the photography world, but am new to the Pentax brand. I have used several Canon DSLR's of my Aunt's, who is a professional photographer, but I have never owned my own DSLR. Recently I have been really interested in getting into photography again, so after a week and half (at least) of research, looking at Canons, Nikons, Sonys (which I am a huge fanboy of Sony!), I am pretty sold on getting either a K-50 or K-30, depending upon my budget. I like the weather sealed body and leneses available at really good prices. All the reviews i've read of both K-30 and the K-50 praise it as a great camera, and I think it will be a great platform to get me into the DSLR photography world.

Can't wait to start exploring and taking photos.

Taylor

01-25-2014, 09:10 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum and please enjoy your stay.
01-25-2014, 10:49 PM   #3

Photos: Albums
Welcome!
01-25-2014, 11:01 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have K-30 and it is my the most used camera, light, small, fast ,have a great deep grip and can take AA batteries.
Great for walk around and travelling.
enjoy and welcome
kind regards
jack

01-26-2014, 12:07 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome!

Hello Taylor, welcome to the Forum!
You really can't go wrong with either the K-30 or K-50, both offer real value for the $$. I believe the features and performance are comparable to (and sometimes exceed) offerings in a similar price range, from any maker.
And the lens selection, especially when the door opens on all those legacy beauties, is unmatched. The selection of brand-new lenses isn't huge, but it's workable and more are coming, the only question being 'when?'.
For the time being, the DA's, FA's and all the legacy lenses, plus 3rd party, new and old glass should keep most everyone happy.
Good luck!
Ron
01-26-2014, 04:00 AM   #6
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, remember you may become a social outcast with your Aunt if you go the Pentax route.
01-26-2014, 08:24 PM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks for the warm greetings. I was a bit nervous about choosing a brand that wasn't Nikon or Canon, but I actually talked to her today and she was quite receptive of my choice to choose the Pentax brand. She mentioned that they were a great value, and from what she knew their ease of use would be great for me to get going into the art of photography.

Once payday comes on thursday, I'll be placing my order. I have my eyes on the K-50 for sure. I'll check back in once I have some hardware.

Thanks!

01-27-2014, 01:37 AM   #8
Veteran Member

If you got a Canon instead, could you borrow lenses from your aunt? That would be a big plus in my book.

Regards,
--Anders.