Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
01-26-2014, 04:38 PM - 2 Likes   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
New Pentaxian... LOVING PENTAX!

Hello All!
I am a brand new Pentax owner and boy has these last two weeks been incredible. Let's start from my first Pentax two weeks ago.

This spring I am taking a photojournalism class and while I had a Nikon superzoom point and shoot I had been eying Pentax's for years as something I would like to get as my first DSLR. I went by the local pawnshops all filled with canons and nikons, so I went home to see if there were any other places that might sell used camera gear. It turns out I had missed a pawn shop. When I arrived, low and behold there sat a classic camera I had always wanted, and Pentax K1000. Along with it came two lenses, a Pentax 50mm f/2 and a Vivitar Auto-Aperture 75-300 Macro f/4.5. Knowing that I could use these lenses with my future DSLR I bought it and a few rolls of film.

Now I was happy just to have this new Pentax and lenses. When I got home my dad told me that a scholarship had come in for me to spend this semester. I had already payed my tuition so this would have to go to school supplies. So to Amazon I fled to get my K5-IIs that had been but a dream for the last year. I got it new for only $777. Along with it I decided to get a good used lens from KEH for photojournalism assignments and landscape photography, so I decided on the Pentax 16-45mm f/4.0 SMC PDA ED AL, which was on sale for only $279

Now this is were the story gets AMAZING! While I was waiting for the camera to come in, I decided to window shop Craigslist for old Pentax lenses. I went all over Texas just looking before I finally looks at the somewhat local Abilene listing. There I found the deal that brought everything together. A very nice lady responded to my email to meet up about a set of two cameras, some lenses, and accessories on sale for $150. Here's what I came away with (all pristine and still in the box with reciepts!
  • Pentax *ist D
  • Pentax ZX-L
  • Pentax FA 28-90mm f/3.5-5.6
  • Tamron AF28-300mm XR Macro f/3.5-6.3 w/ Caps and Hood
  • Tamron AF70-300mm LD f/4-5.6 w/ Caps and Hood
  • Pentax AF-500-FTZ Flash
  • Pentax Hotshoe Adapter
  • Pentax Off-Camera Hotshoe
  • Pentax 3.5' 5P Flash Sync Cable
  • Four Camera Straps
  • Bag of Film (Professional Quality, but expired)
  • Bag of Memory Cards (For *ist D)
Basically I'm set for quite a while, but I fear for my paycheck now that I have the Pentax Fever. I've been encouraged to get into photography since people saw my point and shoots published... now I have the gear to really make my visions come to life! The image quality is simply stunning on the K5-IIs!!!

I'm looking forward to a lot of learning and critiques here on the Pentax Forums!

01-26-2014, 05:29 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by texaspentaxeon Quote
A very nice lady responded to my email to meet up about a set of two cameras, some lenses, and accessories on sale for $150. Here's what I came away with (all pristine and still in the box with reciepts!
  • Pentax *ist D
  • Pentax ZX-L
  • Pentax FA 28-90mm f/3.5-5.6
  • Tamron AF28-300mm XR Macro f/3.5-6.3 w/ Caps and Hood
  • Tamron AF70-300mm LD f/4-5.6 w/ Caps and Hood
  • Pentax AF-500-FTZ Flash
  • Pentax Hotshoe Adapter
  • Pentax Off-Camera Hotshoe
  • Pentax 3.5' 5P Flash Sync Cable
  • Four Camera Straps
  • Bag of Film (Professional Quality, but expired)
  • Bag of Memory Cards (For *ist D)
I hate you! Gonna check craiglist.

Congrats! And hello from newly Pentax addict.
01-26-2014, 05:41 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Welcome!
01-26-2014, 06:08 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome to Pentax Forums!

Congratulations on your scholarship. Sounds like you've put the funds to good use! The K-5IIs is a terrific camera.

Best of luck in your studies.

- Craig

01-26-2014, 07:37 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks! The K-5 IIs seems to be a natural fit for and avid outdoorsman and geology student!
01-27-2014, 03:18 AM   #6

Photos: Albums
Man, I envy you ......I have been buying Pentax lenses for at least $50 each and have spent at least $250 to buy 4 lenses to fill ranges of 35-200 mm between f 3.8-5.6 etc. I even bought K-5 in Sept 13 for $750 but you bought even K-5 IIs for almost that price....Seriously ....Envy you !! Good luck with all the gear...You are way ahead of some newbies like me... Looking forward to see some great photos from you ! Your photos look amazing already !
01-27-2014, 03:28 PM   #7
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, I note that lady LBA has already got a firm grip on you, welcome to the down hill slope.