Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-27-2014, 03:11 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
I am new to DSLRs and I love Pentax Forums !!

Hi Guys,

Thanks to all of you awesome people, newbies like me are guided at every single point in the journey of discovering the art of photography..I never knew I loved taking photos until my wife was expecting and to capture all the memories in "High Quality", I decided to buy a DSLR. Initially, I wanted to buy a Canon 650D thinking it has all those sexy features like sexy shutter noise and flexible LCD.

But, being an engineer by profession, I had to research and analyse my options within the budget of around $600. And I checked many websites for DSLRs in that price range and saw Pentax K-30 and K-5 in around that range. I was astonished to see that Pentax K-5 and K-30 were weather sealed like Top end Canons and Nikons and were available for around $500 to $750.

I further researched and found out some youtube videos comparing K-5 photos with Canon 7D snd 5D mark III and was surprised in the details K-5 produced compared to them. Not knowing anything on importance of good glass in front of the body, I thought K-5 is the way to go....for my budget.

So, I bought K-5 with 18-55 WR kit lens for $750 on ebay from Hong Kong in Sept'13. The camera arrived in 5 days and since then I have been shooting with it. The kit lens is great for amateurs but I felt it was not sharp enough. I found Pentax Forums review in my search for a quality but budget lens. Since then, thanks to this website, I'm buying Lenses from Primes to multipurpose zooms.

I am willing to now contribute to the site by posting my own experiments with these lenses on K-5 but found out that I need to first introduce myself before I post my 2 cents for the lenses.

Thank you for this wonderful site guys...Looking forward to actively participate in this site...Cheers !!

01-27-2014, 11:48 AM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the world of Pentax, and the nicest forum on the net. Adam keeps the nasty people away for us.
01-27-2014, 01:20 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome aboard - it's a great place to learn.
01-27-2014, 01:21 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Good day mate and welcome to the forums

01-27-2014, 02:02 PM   #5

Welcome! I'm also new to this forum (and a brand new Pentax owner). I have a feeling I'll be using this site quite a bit; it has already helped in so many ways!
Good luck in your photography adventures!
01-27-2014, 02:04 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks guys..Please comment on my photos whenever I post them as it will give me a critical feedback I won't be able to give myself through another's viewpoint . Cheers !!
01-27-2014, 02:04 PM   #7

Original Poster
G'day Mate... Thanks...
01-27-2014, 02:22 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Welcome! Hope to see some of your photos once you get the hang of all your new gear

01-27-2014, 02:46 PM   #9

Original Poster
Some of my earliest clicks..

Hi, Na Horuk,

Some of my very early clicks are uploaded in Flickr at Blue Mountains Beauty - a set on Flickr

They are taken with Autofocus and K-5 Auto mode so, I didn't participate much in the exposure part of photos but you can check the angles out and let me know if you can suggest improvements in some...

Thanks again !!

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Welcome! Hope to see some of your photos once you get the hang of all your new gear
01-27-2014, 03:27 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Some nice shots, but don't fall into the "too many photos" trap (we all do it, since out SD cards can hold so many photos) - try to limit how many shots you take from the same angle, of the same subject, and really make that one or two shots count Of course, you are still experimenting, so thats all perfectly fine. You seem to be on the right track
01-27-2014, 03:35 PM   #11
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ankurbbhatt Quote
I'm buying Lenses from Primes to multipurpose zooms.
Welcome to the forum, aye you'll find we're really good here at helping to spend other folks money.
01-27-2014, 04:46 PM   #12

Original Poster
Aye Aye Captain !!

Thanks guys.....Looking forward to inputs on photos...
01-27-2014, 04:51 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome! We have a beer, cheese & bacon thread located in the k-3 section of the forum. Come visit if you like!
01-27-2014, 05:00 PM   #14

Original Poster
That's something I completely agree...

I didn't realize that until I saw the shutter count of my K-5. I saw that the shutter count is already 1213 and I have only 50 shots which I would really love to keep.....Point taken and will be kept in mind next time...In fact, after looking at the shutter count, the first thing I thought was "Why don't I use the check Dial near the shutter release to check composition than taking a photo and checking if the exposure was right... Thanks for your input !!

Shooting to check for exposure will only increase shutter counts and I will form a bad habit of not putting effort into making a good photo....

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Some nice shots, but don't fall into the "too many photos" trap (we all do it, since out SD cards can hold so many photos) - try to limit how many shots you take from the same angle, of the same subject, and really make that one or two shots count Of course, you are still experimenting, so thats all perfectly fine. You seem to be on the right track
01-27-2014, 05:07 PM   #15

Original Poster
Thanks dansamy

Thanks for the invite dansamy. Too bad, I'm a vegetarian...but, can surely have Beer and Cheese !! Will join.....Than ks..
QuoteOriginally posted by dansamy Quote
Welcome! We have a beer, cheese & bacon thread located in the k-3 section of the forum. Come visit if you like!