Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-28-2014, 08:20 PM   #1

New guy

Hi there. I have always liked pentax for there glass as I started using pentax as a hunter - scopes and binos..... Anyway I have always had poor photos in low light over the past 15 years using point and shoots. I have started my dslr pentax experience with a k50- 18-55wr. I can't afford the 55-300wr yet and was wondering if the pentax x-5 would be a good holiday camera or even a back up camera as it has a 26x super zoom that I understand to be equivalent to a 55m? Would this be a good idea if I can find a used x-5 ?

01-28-2014, 09:11 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, as this is an introduction forum I'd suggest you post your questions in the Pentax Beginners Forum where you'll be more likely to get the answers you want.
01-30-2014, 02:00 AM   #3
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Welcome, you can still be a hunter, your just shooting stuff in a different way.
01-30-2014, 07:18 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The X-5 isn't bad idea for a superzoom. The Q system might be a good choice, too. You can find 2-lens sets on Woot for very cheap, and it's a great little system. They're available used for a low price, too. The MX1 is also available on Woot occasionally, and a nice little pocket-sized option.

Of course, if you're outdoorsy you may consider a weatherproof compact option like the WG line. Years ago I got an Olympus SW camera and it's been incredibly rugged, and if you know how to handle the image modes it does a decent job.

None are going to rival that K50 for image quality and versatility, though. I'd look for something to complement it rather than replace it.

Also, look for a sling type strap for security and comfort. Then you may be more likely to take the camera along.

01-30-2014, 11:01 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome! I think a shoulder harness or sling plus an 18-135WR lens might be the way to go.
01-30-2014, 11:05 PM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by nort Quote
Hi there. I have always liked pentax for there glass as I started using pentax as a hunter - scopes and binos..... Anyway I have always had poor photos in low light over the past 15 years using point and shoots. I have started my dslr pentax experience with a k50- 18-55wr. I can't afford the 55-300wr yet and was wondering if the pentax x-5 would be a good holiday camera or even a back up camera as it has a 26x super zoom that I understand to be equivalent to a 55m? Would this be a good idea if I can find a used x-5 ?
I don't know how cheap a used x-5 is.

That said I'd use the 55-300, I think you'll end up with a far better system with less cameras and another lens.